Camera type and location on patio. Newbie here

Sandz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi friends. New here. I'm having my roof done right now and before they get to this side of the house I want to wire some ip cameras. Since I'll have easy access I'm wondering if you think I should get a bullet camera to the right of the door (facing the sliding door) or should I get a dome and put it above the sliding door? Thoughts? Any help would be appreciated. They'll be finishing this week and I may have them run 1 or 2 cat5 cables in preparation for a few cameras.

IMG_20180618_072647018_HDR.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi friends. New here. I'm having my roof done right now and before they get to this side of the house I want to wire some ip cameras. Since I'll have easy access I'm wondering if you think I should get a bullet camera to the right of the door (facing the sliding door) or should I get a dome and put it above the sliding door? Thoughts? Any help would be appreciated. They'll be finishing this week and I may have them run 1 or 2 cat5 cables in preparation for a few cameras.

Welcome Sandz

If running cables will be significantly easier during this roofing job:
run cat5e/cat6 to EACH location you THINK you MAY want a camera - pull N+1 cables to each location.

Consider using 3/4" grey PVC conduit for inside the attic to make any runs easier for current or future cable pulls

Consider the turret format instead of dome / bullet.

Remember to check out the cliff notes:
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk