Camera under the porch

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I moved last year, and wanted my cameras to be more discreet than they were at my previous house (big turret and bullet cams mounted all over the siding).

This mostly meant using small and inconspicuous cams to watch the driveway, and those aren't great for ID shots.

So I was thrilled when I realized there was plenty of room to tuck my old Dahua whatever-Z5 starlight cam under the porch to look up at people as they approach. It is like the opposite of having a camera that is too high. This one will see you watching the ground.

The lighting is a bit tricky since it sees mostly sky. So I set it to shutter priority, 0-4ms, and Backlight to BLC.

1643302729215.png

1643302718039.png

This works pretty well even at night because I turned off the camera's built-in IR and put a separate illuminator nearby to keep the glare down, as there's a lot of nearby porch, ground, and steps to reflect IR back and fog it up at night.

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I’m guessing you don’t have snow where you are? This is awesome but wouldn’t work for me as I’d have to keep digging it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
This is nice If someone is trying to hide there face by looking down with a cap..

I have one by front door Approx 2 feet above ground. Can you share what the installed camera looks like ?

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wow, that's a tough shot looking up at the sky like that. Does the sun come more into play depending on the time of the day? Is it maybe a northern view where you don't get a silhouette pic because the sun is right behind the person?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that the best zoom cams are varifocal, because autofocus is awful at night in this position.

This is nice If someone is trying to hide there face by looking down with a cap..

I have one by front door Approx 2 feet above ground. Can you share what the installed camera looks like ?
Sure, maybe later.

Wow, that's a tough shot looking up at the sky like that. Does the sun come more into play depending on the time of the day? Is it maybe a northern view where you don't get a silhouette pic because the sun is right behind the person?
Yes, the sun moves directly through the camera's FOV in the morning. I can't find any person captures at that time but here's a bird.