Cameras are here but nothing works, what am I doing wrong?

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I ordered a 2231t from andy and the n22al12 from B&H. the little quick start pamphlet that comes with these is useless. the dahua wiki and cliff notes and videos online don't do anything because the smartpss is a different version and nothing makes sense. so i downloaded smartpss because it looks like the correct program to use. do you have to initialize them using the separate config tool or the one built into the smartpss application? what login password do i enter? do i need to change the IP address? it says to enter default of 192.168.1.108 from a web browser to config, but when i go it's a dead screen, nothing is working. when i goto smartpss and search it finds the camera, model and mac address but it shows to be offline. this is very frustrating and makes me want to return these cameras and buy a 4k lorex from costco. can anyone please help? i'm at a stand still.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Section 2 (Network Configuration) of the useless Quick Start pamphlet should have the info you're looking for.

Last edited:

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Section 2 (Network Configuration) of the useless Quick Start pamphlet should have the info you're looking for.
:) i'm on it, i have several versions of it, it doesnt make sense. it's different than what i see on my end. i downloaded the stand alone config tool, it says it's initialized and to enter the default IP address in the browser, nothing comes up, smartPSS sees the camera but shows offline. when i try to modify the IP address (not sure why i even need to do that) it says password, ip, subnet, or gateway invalid. this is the same for both cameras that just came out of the box.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can only have one of the new cameras plugged in at a time until you give it a new IP address.

If you have just one camera plugged in and
doesn't pull up the camera's web interface, then check your computer's IP address and make sure it's on the 192.168.1.x network as well.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can only have one of the new cameras plugged in at a time until you give it a new IP address.

If you have just one camera plugged in and
doesn't pull up the camera's web interface, then check your computer's IP address and make sure it's on the 192.168.1.x network as well.
i had the 2231 plugged in, and now the n22, only one cam, at a time. there's only 1 network here, it's plugged into the poe injector and into the switch. this PC is hard wired plugged into the same switch. the poe is fine because it's able to power the cams and display the mac id when i search for it, when i add the cam, it shows on smartpss but says offline. both cams exhibit the same behavior.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it says Offline (cannot find network host)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, there's a bullet in Section 2 (Network Configuration) of that pamphlet that mentions this:
Device initialization is available only when the IP addresses of the device (192.168.1.108 by default) and the PC stay in the same network segment.

If your computer is 192.168.0.19 then it is not on the same network segment as the cameras' default IP address (192.168.1.108).

Try temporarily changing the IP address of your computer to 192.168.1.19, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, nothing for the default gateway. Then try using a web browser to . Again, make sure only one of the cameras is plugged in.

If you're able to connect, run through the initialization wizard and then go into Setting tab on the top > Network > TCP/IP > and give it an IP address on the 192.168.0.x network segment that the rest of your house uses.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, there's a bullet in Section 2 (Network Configuration) of that pamphlet that mentions this:
Device initialization is available only when the IP addresses of the device (192.168.1.108 by default) and the PC stay in the same network segment.

If your computer is 192.168.0.19 then it is not on the same network segment as the cameras' default IP address (192.168.1.108).

Try temporarily changing the IP address of your computer to 192.168.1.19, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, nothing for the default gateway. Then try using a web browser to . Again, make sure only one of the cameras is plugged in.

If you're able to connect, run through the initialization wizard and then go into Setting tab on the top > Network > TCP/IP > and give it an IP address on the 192.168.0.x network segment that the rest of your house uses.
i'll try to figure that out, initialization was successful, wouldnt it be easier to change the ip address of the camera instead of my computer? no idea how to do that.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This can help if you scroll down how to put it on same network. Change NIC to 192.168.1.10 for example so you can access 192.168.1.108 when you type into browser:

you can skip parts talking about dual nic.

you have to change your NIC FIRST. THEN YOU CAN change your Camera IP once you access it. You have to do it 1 at a time and change IP so it doesn't conflict with one another.

follow above post and let us know what you are stuck on

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wouldnt it be easier to change the ip address of the camera instead of my computer? no idea how to do that.
Section 2.1 of the pamphlet shows how to use ConfigTool to do that, but my home network is 192.168.1.x so I just use the web interface.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thank you, i'm going to attempt this, i hope it doesnt knock my hvac, alarm, water heater, etc offline.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Temporarily changing the IP address of your computer should only affect your computer. If you give the camera an IP address in use by your HVAC, alarm, water heater, or any other device in your house then you could cause a problem for that device and the camera.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Section 2.1 of the pamphlet shows how to use ConfigTool to do that, but my home network is 192.168.1.x so I just use the web interface.
what web interface? this is insane, i've been at this for hours. is smartpss not a web interface? or you talking about entering the default ip address of the camera into the browser? i have no idea why these things can't auto sense and adapt like every other product out there.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
this doesnt make sense, i have to go into ipv4 network config, and take it off of 'obtain IP automatically' and assign it an address like 192.168.55.1 so that i can go in and change the cameras to 192.168.55.xx? this is clear as mud honestly , about to throw in the towel.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welp changed the ip address to 192.168.1.19 like you said and now my computer won't connect to the internet, I'm typing on my phone, this is depressing

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i changed the computer back to auto obtain IP address and i'mback online. there has to be a better way to do this, i've never had this much aggravation in my life. looks like these cameras are going back

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
This shouldn't be this hard @aristobrat gave you all the info you need. Take a deep breath and don't freak out. Set your PC with the manual IP as was described hardwired into a spare switch, plug just the camera and PC into the same switch. Once you have that, you can go to the web address locally of the camera on . Once there, you can give the camera an IP of 192.168.0.XX - whatever you have available there for your home network. Once that is successful, put your laptop IP back to DHCP and you should be all set. You'll then take your laptop and go to the new IP of the camera. If this is too much, maybe you have a friend that can help you out who may know a little more about networking. Unfortunately, these are IP cameras which run on IP networks and you can't be afraid of making any network changes or else you'll never get anywhere with these things. Good luck in your endeavors of getting this up and running.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i'm pulling apart the camera now to find the reset button and will try again