Cameras disappear from recorder

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I install a network camera, search, and add them to the recorder, sometimes no image appears, sometimes an image is there for a couple minutes, up to a couple of weeks, then disappears. IP addresses match, as do subnet mask, port, protocol, etc. All I get is a message, "Failed to connect to camera, please check the network connection."

I changed ethernet cables. Same thing. Changed the POE switch. Same thing.

When I type the IP address into my browser, the camera comes up, signs in, and shows an image.

What's left?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Is the recorder capturing motion footage?
what IP address are you typing into a browser?
the Cam IP or the NVR IP?
Some recorders wont show an image in a browser interface without a plugin or Internet expolorer, or the IE tab installed on chrome or Edge., ..or Pale moon 32 bit broweser...

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you use dielectric grease on the connections? Did you
check the cameras connections for corrosion?

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a Camius Trivault 2168R

The recorder isn't going to capture video it's not seeing in the first place, so no it's not recording.

If I type in the recorder IP, the recorder shows up, but no camera. If I type in the camera IP, the camera comes up and does show an image.

The recorder did show an image, live and recorded, for as long as 2 weeks until it disappeared. Sometimes it's merely 2 minutes.

Since the camera does show up when it's IP address is typed in the browser, I'd think it's safe to assume the connections are good and working.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
can you post a picture of some of the NVR pages? like where you add a camera, or where you have h265 h264 settings? just curious if the UI is OEM Dahua ( more experienced) or Hikvision ( less experience)

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The only way for me to get a picture is by taking a picture of the tv screen, which is lousy at best.

The analog cameras I started with continue to work flawlessly.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
on my half breed Xvr, only 2 IP cameras can be added, and to that end, 2 analog channels have to be disabled for them to work.

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This hybrid is 16 analog, 4 network capable. Disabling analog channels increases network capabilities.

For 3 months, I've had nothing but trouble with network cameras, while analog just keeps marching on. I'm about ready to switch back to all analog, except I've spent the years budget already.

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried everything, eventually changing the ports in the camera. Even though ports matched in recorder and camera before, somehow changing them must have made the camera appear. Only then I was locked out of the camera via the browser. Tech support from the camera seller told me how to access the camera again to adjust it's parameters.

For now at least, camera is up and running again. For how long is anybody's guess.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I install a network camera, search, and add them to the recorder, sometimes no image appears, sometimes an image is there for a couple minutes, up to a couple of weeks, then disappears. IP addresses match, as do subnet mask, port, protocol, etc. All I get is a message, "Failed to connect to camera, please check the network connection."

I changed ethernet cables. Same thing. Changed the POE switch. Same thing.

When I type the IP address into my browser, the camera comes up, signs in, and shows an image.

What's left?
Are you using good quality ethernet cable that is pure solid copper of at least 24awg gauge and NOT copper clad aluminum cable?
Why we harp about NEVER using CCA ethernet cable. | IP Cam Talk

Not using any Flat ethernet cables?
If you made the cables, did you use the proper RJ45's and crimp them on properly with the wiring standard of 568b.
1682382829198.png

Thirdson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you using good quality ethernet cable that is pure solid copper of at least 24awg gauge and NOT copper clad aluminum cable?
Why we harp about NEVER using CCA ethernet cable. | IP Cam Talk

Not using any Flat ethernet cables?
If you made the cables, did you use the proper RJ45's and crimp them on properly with the wiring standard of 568b.
View attachment 160996
Originally yes, until I read here what CCA really means, Crappy Cable A**hole. Now everything is upgraded to real copper.

What finally made it come on was fiddling with the ports in the camera, as I mentioned above. The camera showed up on the recorder then, but I couldn't access it via a browser to set parameters. Tech support from Nelly's Security, where I bought it, got it me back into the camera in a very timely fashion. For now, everything is running.

With 2 network cameras running, one seems to run flawlessly, though with lesser picture quality than I expected. The other still has the occasional dropout, and that's with all copper, 24ga. Cat6a cable, 100' long. Overkill for sure, but not that much more $. Now it just leaves me wondering if I should have used shielded Cat6a, though it's no where near any high power cables. I'm NOT paying to have yet another cable pulled in!!! (I'm 65, disabled) Lowering the bitrate on the 5Mg camera seems to reduce the drop outs.

I'm not crimp capable, all ethernet cables have factory attached connectors.

One of these days, I'm going to plug in the original network camera which went out after 2 weeks, which is when all this started, and see if I can get it to come back on. There is always a place for another camera.;)