Cameras drop signal every 24 hrs?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 4 Hikvision DS-2CD2442FWD-IW wireless cameras and they loose connection every 20-24 hours or at random times rebooting my router fixes the issue for a day. Rebooting the cameras seems to make no difference,

My router is a Synology RT2600AC that is up to date each camera has a static IP and when i log into a camera it shows my wireless signal at 80-95%.

I have 30 devices connected to the router 14 of them are hard wired IP cameras. The router is only using 30-50% of it's CPU and memory.

I have no neighbors or anything to get interference.

If i'm at home and see the cameras drop signal i notice the video feed will lag way behind or come and go and if i try to log into them in a browser it is ultra slow and barley load the page, reboot the router and all is fine for a awhile.

I use WP2, i have zero issues with anything else that is wireless but most things use the 5 Ghz band.

Any ideas?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 30 devices connected to the router 14 of them are hard wired IP cameras.
when i log into a camera it shows my wireless signal at 80-95%.
That says it all.
Ditch the WiFi, ditch the problem.
WiFi and TCP continuous streaming video is a troublesome combination.
As identified a myriad times on the forum by users with similar issues.

I have no neighbors or anything to get interference.
Wot - no microwave!

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That says it all.
Ditch the WiFi, ditch the problem.
WiFi and TCP continuous streaming video is a troublesome combination.
As identified a myriad times on the forum by users with similar issues.

Wot - no microwave!
They are in a location where hard wired is a no go.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They are in a location where hard wired is a no go.
I can relate to having a situation like this. Since it's like that though, get used to it. Wireless video on any cam is not a good situation. I do have 3 wireless cams but they're (relatively) close to the router so it doesn't drop but occasionally, but it still happens.

Advice to you would be to post some pics and info about the situation where the wired is a no go. Maybe someone can advise or help you determine how to get the wired there. Often when the forum has been told "its a no go", it turns out to be possible. Just maybe inconvenient or too costly.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The wireless can't be that bad i have one of these cams at another location for a few years now and have zero issues like i'm seeing. Mine will drop out completely over time until i reboot the router then work fine for a while.

Try a house on a concrete slab with half a attic.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The wireless can't be that bad i have one of these cams at another location for a few years now and have zero issues like i'm seeing. Mine will drop out completely over time until i reboot the router then work fine for a while.

Try a house on a concrete slab with half a attic.
Yep. got one. and mine's a 2 story. I'm telling you, there might be ways around it that you don't know yet. Interesting to see you say that just rebooting the router temporarily fixes your issues. For me, its always been the wireless cams that needed to be rebooted.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the past I had wifi cameras, I set up a separate wifi network using access points. I used a separate SID and channel. I has getting errors from other devices in the house, like a wireless lap top, roku, video game player, when using the home network.

As a side note. Camera traffic should should go through the router.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
reboot the router and all is fine for a awhile.
As a side note. Camera traffic should should go through the router.
That's a good point - which raises another possibility for the cause of the problem.
A router's main task is routing - and sometimes they are not very good at the switching task associated with their ethernet ports, though what I've seen with ip camera video streams is routing performance degradation as opposed to reliability issues.
I have 30 devices connected to the router 14 of them are hard wired IP cameras.
Presumably not directly connected to the router, but the ip camera wireless traffic will be flowing through it.
As an experiment - do you have another access point or an old router that could take the WiFi traffic and avoid it going through the main router?
Swapping the SSIDs would avoid having to change any camera configurations.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a older netgear router i could use if i can remember how setup two routers on the same network.

I think on the netgear i would assign it a IP and turn off DHCP, plug it into my switch for the internet.