Cameras Dropping Off Network (Infrequent)

cstout

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll start by apologizing if this has been covered elsewhere...I tried to search but I'm not sure I'm using the right words to describe the issue.

I've got:
2x - Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I (3MP, V5.2.5 build 141201, multi-language)
1x - Hikvision DS-2CD2335-I (3MP, V5.3.6 build 151221, English)

About once every 1-2 months one of the three cameras (sometimes two will, closely together) will stop sending video. It's pingable but not accessible via the web interface, SSH, telnet, or video stream. The only thing I can do to restore it is to power cycle it. It's happened so, let's say, reliably over the past two years that I've finally added a remote controllable power outlet to the passive POE injector so when I lose one (or multiple) I can power cycle them all and get it back quickly.

Is this common with Hikvision cameras? I've used three different power injectors, changed out and tested the CAT6 cable, and even changed recording systems. Now that I have a way to remotely get the camera(s) back it's not such a major issue but it is still an inconvenience and there is no trend that I'm seeing as far as time of day or month.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll start by apologizing if this has been covered elsewhere...I tried to search but I'm not sure I'm using the right words to describe the issue.

I've got:
2x - Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I (3MP, V5.2.5 build 141201, multi-language)
1x - Hikvision DS-2CD2335-I (3MP, V5.3.6 build 151221, English)

About once every 1-2 months one of the three cameras (sometimes two will, closely together) will stop sending video. It's pingable but not accessible via the web interface, SSH, telnet, or video stream. The only thing I can do to restore it is to power cycle it. It's happened so, let's say, reliably over the past two years that I've finally added a remote controllable power outlet to the passive POE injector so when I lose one (or multiple) I can power cycle them all and get it back quickly.

Is this common with Hikvision cameras? I've used three different power injectors, changed out and tested the CAT6 cable, and even changed recording systems. Now that I have a way to remotely get the camera(s) back it's not such a major issue but it is still an inconvenience and there is no trend that I'm seeing as far as time of day or month.
it is not normal...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to join this thread because I have a similar question I've been meaning to ask. I've noticed that all the cams I've bought for home and work come with a default setting to auto reboot once a day. Do cams need to reboot once in a while so they don't lock up like the OP's? I recently turned off auto reboot but I'm now wondering if I should turn it back on.
you dont need to auto reboot...certainly not every day...if you want to be on the safe side set it once a week, but its not needed.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
you dont need to auto reboot...certainly not every day...if you want to be on the safe side set it once a week, but its not needed.
Lmao reboot every day ... I never reboot my camera there fine...

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would love to see Hikvision include an option to easily auto-reboot their devices once in a while. Dahua has it by default at once weekly. And while it *should* not be needed, I have surely seen devices lock up after months of running, I have seen them disconnecting the P2P network and a reboot solvig it, etc. So I do like to leave it on at least once weekly, and I do miss the option on Hikvision firmwares.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, not having a reboot option at all isn't good either. I avoid rebooting and having to do so to cure a problem cropping up is usually a bandaid for a larger problem but it can be useful. However, it's only useful to delay fixing an impending problem that will ultimately need to be addressed. Ymmv.

cstout

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, I am a little relieved to hear that it's not a normal issue. Honestly, I can't recall my 2335 ever locking up like that. I know for a fact that my 2332's have a longstanding reputation with this issue. My three Hik's do not have any scheduled restart options or I would have set that up long ago. The quality of these cameras and the infrequency of the lock-ups keeps me overall very satisfied with them. When I move I will likely be replacing them with newer models (though I'm not hearing of much improvement over the 3MP models).