cameras in BI changing fps

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
my clients are telling me that the fps on each camera setting in BI (not the camera itself) are changing to higher fps ie we set 5 cameras for 12fps on camera 15fps in BI.. well the 15 fps changed to 32fps as an example..the highest I saw a camera was set for 51fps. What could be causing this? I locked myself out via suricata.. I have to wait 1 hr to the pfsense to add my ip address.. pain pain pain... LOL

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
my clients are telling me that the fps on each camera setting in BI (not the camera itself) are changing to higher fps ie we set 5 cameras for 12fps on camera 15fps in BI.. well the 15 fps changed to 32fps as an example..the highest I saw a camera was set for 51fps. What could be causing this? I locked myself out via suricata.. I have to wait 1 hr to the pfsense to add my ip address.. pain pain pain... LOL
blue iris has never and will never be able to change frame rates...the fps displayed in the video tab listed as MAX rate, auto adjusts - purposely to higher than the set rate...tell your ocd clients to ignore it.
the can see the actual frame rate in the general tab.
From release notes back in 2016
  • The "auto fps" check box on the Video tab has been removed. It was confusing and a very common misconception that you can "set" the fps for a network IP camera. Blue Iris has always used whatever the camera sends. This value exists primarily so that the software can anticipate the frame rate and create buffers accordingly. The only requirement is that it is set >= to what the camera is actually sending in order to avoid "dropped" frames. Dropped frames are especially bad news for direct-to-disc recordings. There were a number of camera definitions with {FRATE} in the video path--please substitute this for the actual desired rate.

• If the actual FPS received from the camera exceeds the "max rate" setting for 5 seconds, the max rate will be adjusted upward automatically in increments of 1 up to a maximum of 60. The "fps warning" condition now occurs only if the actual fps drops below 50% of its maximum rate.

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks fenderman.. They run a gas station and they freak out all the time... I have a service contract so I guess I have to deal with it...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks fenderman.. They run a gas station and they freak out all the time... I have a service contract so I guess I have to deal with it...
tell them not to touch the system....

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
tell them not to touch the system....
I tell them all the time.. I locked the system at 1 point but I removed the password... since its CPE machines. one time they turned off the 4 port pfsense router.. And called me 100 plus times because it wasn't recording to nas. LOL..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I tell them all the time.. I locked the system at 1 point but I removed the password... since its CPE machines. one time they turned off the 4 port pfsense router.. And called me 100 plus times because it wasn't recording to nas. LOL..
you need to make it clear that if you need to fix their mistakes it is going to cost them.