Cameras keep cutting out, not sure why.

Gizmo

n3wb
Reaction score
I have had my setup running for a few days now and I've noticed that every now and then it stops recording. The colored bar at the bottom sometimes goes blank, and other times it stays lit up. The only reason I know they stop recording is because I go back to an event and some or all of the cameras are black.

Is this a common issue? Am I doing something wrong? As soon as I restart the program it starts recording again... until it doesn't.

Does the cameras color mean/do anything specific? How do most of you set them up?

How long should I keep the clips for? I check the alerts every day, will it slow anything down if I keep them around for a few days, or should I archive them every day?

My set up: 4x Dahua Starlight Varifocals all hooked up to a Ubiquiti 24 port POE switch. My computer is a Dell Optiplex i7-4770 3.40ghz, 8GB, 4TB WD Purple, windows 10 64bit, never gets above 20%.

Last edited:

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It sounds like you are recording on motion, not continuous. That bar at the bottom is a timeline, so the times the camera records will have a bar and the times it does not you will get a break in the bar. To change this, go to Camera Properties -> Record tab. Next to the checkbox at the top left that says "Video", make sure the drop down box says "Continuous" and not "When Triggered". Do this for each camera you want to have record continuously and you should get a solid bar in the timeline and not a broken bar.

Colors are up to you. I have 10 cameras all the same color, but you could have 1 color for front, 1 for back, etc. Up to you on how you want them displayed.

Video retention is up to you as well. I have about a month of storage which I feel comfortable with. Bottom line, if you need to review footage, how long will it take you to review it? Probably not more than a few days. I would recommend a week of retention just to be safe. Storage is cheap.

Gizmo

n3wb
Reaction score
They're all set to continuous, when they record they do what I want. The issue is I'll wake up and see they stopped recording at some point in the night. Or I'll come home and see the same thing.

I've ended up downloading a screen sharing app to my phone just so I can turn them back on half way through the day. I really don't think I should have to babysit this though, I want to set it and forget it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They're all set to continuous, when they record they do what I want. The issue is I'll wake up and see they stopped recording at some point in the night. Or I'll come home and see the same thing.

I've ended up downloading a screen sharing app to my phone just so I can turn them back on half way through the day. I really don't think I should have to babysit this though, I want to set it and forget it.
You are doing something wrong... post your settings..also note the each profile has different settings so if you are using more than one profile you need to make changes accordingly...