cameras losing signal

mack100

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just starting out on this cctv venture.
My BI is on a Win7 pc, on live view the cameras appear to be losing signal randomly. When I log into them on my Mac browser I can see them working away quite well, no loss of signal at all. Any ideas?

MikeyOnline

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you say lose signal, are they just freezing or do you get the gray overlay saying signal lost? What frame rate (FPS) are you running? I've found that if you have more than one camera, you have to be careful with both signal and FPS. A camera with a weaker signal may not be able to handle the bandwidth and that may actually affect other cameras. Try dropping your FPS to 5 on all cameras (both in the camera's web UI and BI - make them match) and see if that solves it. If so, you can tweak to find the best FPS for you, change position of your router to get a better signal, etc.

Mike

mack100

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Mike.
I'm getting the grey overlay. I'll have a go at reducing fps and maybe reducing some other settings such as disabling some cameras.
SADP tool has a bandwidth calculator but excludes 4mm cameras!
Is there a tool that shows me the bandwidth available in my network?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What cameras are you using, this issue is common in cheap foscams and their clones. Viewing via the browser is not a good comparison because the camera transmits video differently via the browser. First thing to do is increase the receive buffer in blue iris, set it to 20mb. camera properties>video >configuration

mack100

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm using Hikvision EXIR 4 MP turrets. I'll change the settings as you suggest.

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you running BI as a service with HA enabled under Windows 7?