Cameras not detecting motion on Hikvision NVR

MJA64

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision NVR 8ch DS-7608NI-K2/8P With POE, connected to this are 7 POE cameras, all on 24 hour recording. There are x3 1080P 2.0 Megapixels Annke cameras from my old system, they are using the Hikvision protocol and all flag up/record motion ok. The other 4 cameras are higher spec cameras, all using the onvif protocol, none of these will flagup motion, though they record fine. I have logged into the interface of each of the cameras and turned off motion detection in case it was conflicting with the NVR getting them to record motion, but still no joy. I've tried changing the protocols but no joy.

The cameras not flagging up motion are:
x2 ZXTECH Premio MCI181L6
x1 ZXTECH MCI30B40
x1 H.View 4.0mp UK400G2Z

If I change the protocol to Hikvision, it allows me to setup motion detection, but it does not detect motion. Many of the other protocols dont work and the ones that do report that the camera doesn't support motion detection.

Any ideas please?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
sounds like that NVR doesn't have the processing power to do motion detection analysis on higher-resolution streams.
maybe try using the second (lower rez) stream for motion detection on each of the higher-rez cams?
that'll at least get you the timestamps so you can correlate with the the full-rez recordings...

MJA64

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm thats an idea. What if I added them one at a time? Being as its an 8ch I would have thought it would be able to do 5 camera at once?

Can't seem to see where in the settings that I can get it to use the lower stream for motion detection?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The other 4 cameras are higher spec cameras, all using the onvif protocol
Not all ONVIF compliant cameras provide ONVIF motion event notifications.
It was an optional requirement in the older ONVIF specifications.

One way to check this is with the very useful ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
ODM will automatically discover ONVIF devices on the same IP address range as the PC.
Give it valid logon credentials and it will show loads of useful info for the cameras.
If the camera generates motion events, they will show on the Events page.

I expect you can easily determine which of those cameras provide ONVIF event notifications and which do not.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, will stick this on my laptop and have a look tomorrow
ODM will automatically discover ONVIF devices on the same IP address range as the PC.
If the cameras in question are on NVR PoE ports - that's a different address range and a different network from the LAN the laptop would normally be connected to.
So, to get ODM to see the cameras, you'd need to set the PC IP address to something in the range the NVR PoE ports use (something like 192.168.254.100 if it's the default Hikvision PoE interface address range of 192.168.254.0) and plug the laptop in to an unused NVR PoE port.

If the cameras are on the LAN, well and good.

MJA64

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah thanks, I understand that part, I put a static IP in the laptop and connect to the unused last port on the NVR :)

Maybe I should clarify, I can get all cameras to record 24-7 which is what I want, but I also want to see in playback the pink lines below the timeline that indicate when motion was detected, so I don't have to sit and watch all the way through the recording but can skip to the next motion. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That makes sense, wanting to see the motion marks on a continuous recording timeline.
From what I've seen, with multiple 3rd party cameras on Hikvision NVRs, that has only worked with Hikvision cameras.
Not with onvif motion detection, nor even with cameras that have a 'hikserver' implemented.
But maybe someone will do this.

MJA64

n3wb
Reaction score
What is odd is that the x4 cameras that do work as want and show motion detected marks below the continuous recording timeline, are cheap Annke cameras from an older system.