Cameras not showing up

Miller1

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a ptz camera hooked up to 290' of cat6 direct burial cable plugged into a poe switch worked fine for about 6 months and quite, plugged it into a short patch cable and camera works fine tested the 290' cable and it tested good.So now i have a 298' cat6 cable coiled up beside a poe plus switch and i have tried to get a ptz and a bullet camera to work through that cable with no luck,i have also plugged in a poe extender still nothing.Any thoughts on why it would have worked for so long and then just quite and now i get nothing with an upgraded switch,new cable and a poe extender

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a ptz camera hooked up to 290' of cat6 direct burial cable plugged into a poe switch worked fine for about 6 months and quite, plugged it into a short patch cable and camera works fine tested the 290' cable and it tested good.So now i have a 298' cat6 cable coiled up beside a poe plus switch and i have tried to get a ptz and a bullet camera to work through that cable with no luck,i have also plugged in a poe extender still nothing.Any thoughts on why it would have worked for so long and then just quite and now i get nothing with an upgraded switch,new cable and a poe extender
Is the cable solid copper or copper clad aluminum? Are you using the 568B standard on both ends?

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Corrosion? Maybe try some dielectric grease or the stuff I use:

Though you may need something to actually clean the leads. I bought some of this and used it on some tools, it definitely cuts through rust:
They say it works on electrical corrosion also.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Most PTZ's require 802.3at power. If your POE switch is providing only 802.3af power, then thats a problem. Also if you have been adding power consuming devices such as more POE camera's to your switch, you could be maxed out on the power budget of the POE switch.
You give no data on the POE switch or how many devices are consuming power,
i.e if you have a budget of 100 watts on your switch, and the cameras you are currently running = 95% of that, you could be running into the limit of the switch.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
It sure sounds like a power issue to me. It seems everything works on short runs, but not the long runs. You also said the cable tested fine and the new cable doesn't seem to work either so I would lean towards a power issue. If I was troubleshooting this, I would run an extension cord out to the original camera location and hook your POE injector (after making sure it is rated to provide enough power for the PTZ camera - all injectors are not made equal) into the original line and plug the camera into the injector with a short cable. See if that works.

Miller1

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks to everybody who has replied so far.What I did was hook 3 100' patch cables together and everything works fine as it should so the direct burial cable must not be good which makes no sense because it is brand new straight off the roll has not been bent,kinked,stretched in any way and i tried 3 times to put new RJ 45 ends on and didnt change anything.This is True cable i bought and its supposed to be good stuff according to the reviews.Do you guys have any thoughts on what i should buy next to run in the conduit that will actually work and hold up and am i wasting my money on cat6 cable would cat5 be sufficient for two cameras on a 295'run

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm assuming the cable is not in conduit? There is just no way of knowing what happened. It might be that a rock ended up next to the cable and it eventually nicked the cable enough to let in moisture that then corroded the cable.

I would definitely recommend using conduit. You can still use direct burial rated cable, but putting it in conduit (and oversized conduit for the current need - at least 1" for a single cable IMHO due to the long distance) will help protect the cable and make it easier to replace a cable when it goes bad.