Cameras Offline after internet restored?

jawsfree

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having a problem that when my internet goes out and then comes back online my cameras will not load, camera offline. If I restart the computer they come back and work fine. Any idea what could be causing this? This will also happen after ~2 weeks of uninterrupted use. This computer is used for security cameras and occasional web browsing but 98% of the time just for cameras. I do have Blue Iris running as a service as well.

I am running
[QTY-4]-DH IPC-HDW5831R-ZE 8mp
[QTY-2] DH IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP
[QTY-1] 5.1 MP PTZ Generic

Blue Iris Release 5.2.8.3 X64
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SSF
i5 8500 CPU @ 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz
RAM 24.0 GB
Windows 10 Pro
64-Bit

Thanks,
Jason

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What kind of Internet service (DSL, cable, fiber, Wi-Fi, cellular, satellite) ?
Do you have a separate router or is it incorporated into the ISP's modem / receiver?
Are the cameras hardwired or wireless?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
does the traffic from the cameras or switch pass thru the router on the way to the BI Machine ?
Camera traffic should NOT pass thru the Router.

The BI machine should be plugged into the same switch as cameras. Or the same switch tree if you have multiple switches.

jawsfree

n3wb
Reaction score
What kind of Internet service (DSL, cable, fiber, Wi-Fi, cellular, satellite) ?
Do you have a separate router or is it incorporated into the ISP's modem / receiver?
Are the cameras hardwired or wireless?
  • at&t dsl ~50 mbps download 11 mbps upload
  • all connections are hardwired
  • modem is routed to two seperate routers via a switch
  • my router hardwired to poe switch
  • all cameras hardwired to poe switch.

jawsfree

n3wb
Reaction score
does the traffic from the cameras or switch pass thru the router on the way to the BI Machine ?

The BI machine should be plugged into the same switch as cameras. Or the same switch tree if you have multiple switches.
Well that may be the problem.
I have the BI Machine connected to the router
I have the POE switch connected to the router
I have na 8 port POE switch
I have a single cat plug on the computer
Not sure how I can the connection you suggest without another switch. Am I missing something? I can get another switch if needed.

thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With a duel router setup I have no idea what your problem is. If the route is working only as an Access point this does not apply.
Is the AT&T DSL acting as an router and wifi access point ?

Can you explain the purpose of the dual router, just curious ?

you need another simple switch between the router and the switch.

Reaction score
I don't want to isolate the cameras from the internet as I check them remotely.
You are asking to be hacked. But that is your choice. There are many ways to safely access BI remotely. Very rarely is there a reason to access a specific cam remotely.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the two routers are being used as access points, then it is ok for the traffic to pass through them as they are NOT routers, As access point is acing as a switch. There is little to no packet processing in the access point if it set up correctly.

No idea what would cause the drop of the internet to cause the cameras to go off line. Post a copy of the BI log file when the cameras go of line, and tell us what time they go off line.

Cameras should not have access to the internet. It you need to view your cameras then use UI3.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
To: SouthernYankee and others
WHY should traffic not pass thru a Router (edge Router 4) ?? I have my Cams pass thru Router to my BI - Vlans - Router on a Stick.
Am I going to have Problems ??

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To: SouthernYankee and others
WHY should traffic not pass thru a Router (edge Router 4) ?? I have my Cams pass thru Router to my BI - Vlans - Router on a Stick.
Am I going to have Problems ??
Because most routers choke on that much data continuously being run through them. Connect the blue Irish computer to a Poe switch, all cameras to the same Poe switch and then one network cable from the poe switch to a router.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Because most routers choke on that much data continuously being run through them. Connect the blue Irish computer to a Poe switch, all cameras to the same Poe switch and then one network cable from the poe switch to a router.
Interesting about the Data Choking the Router... I think mine should fine with the 4 Core 1GHz and up to 3.4 million packets per second processing with a line rate of up to 4 Gbps. (although I think the line rate would be lower due to the switches are only Gigbit.)
This is exactly how my Vlans are set up. But my BI is not on the Same Vlan as Cams.(for Security)
Why would you want Cam on same network as BI unless It was running a dual NIC ??

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why would you want Cam on same network as BI unless It was running a dual NIC ??
I'd say only if the BI PC was not to be allowed any kind of access to the Internet (no remote access, no VPN). It would be LAN (Intranet) access only.
Not sure who would want that, but I'm sure there's a few out there. :idk:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a lot of miscommunication going on in this thread I think, with regard to the layout and configuration of @jawsfree's network.

@jawsfree You may be able to solve this issue entirely by setting a static IP address on your Blue Iris server, on all your cameras, and on any managed network devices between Blue Iris and your cameras. This is to ensure they all stay operational in the event that your DHCP server stops working while the internet is offline (I've seen that happen before). If that doesn't help, then you likely just need to isolate the LAN traffic from your internet router. And yes, that may mean buying another switch. Just a cheap gigabit switch for $20 USD or something would be fine.

@AP514 The advice to not pass LAN to LAN traffic through the router is because some lack the necessary hardware features to route packets at line rate (typically 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps). Such routers get bogged down when lots of LAN traffic is passing through them, causing slowdowns. Your EdgeRouter should not have this problem as it was built for speed by a company that actually knows what it is doing.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most routers are provided by the internet service provider and are generally cheap crap . Then can not keep up with the multiple constant video streams.

@jawsfree
Back to the original question. Why do cameras go off line after an internet restart.
A diagram of the current actual network setup, with IP address would help a lot.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@AP514 The advice to not pass LAN to LAN traffic through the router is because some lack the necessary hardware features to route packets at line rate (typically 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps). Such routers get bogged down when lots of LAN traffic is passing through them, causing slowdowns. Your EdgeRouter should not have this problem as it was built for speed by a company that actually knows what it is doing.
Thank you for Clearing that up.....:headbang: