Cameras on a detached garage. How to live view from the house?

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum, but here goes... I have 2 PoE cameras and an NVR installed in a detached garage. When I connect a portable monitor to the NVR in the garage, I can live view the cameras. I want to be able to put that display in the house for a 24/7 live view of the cameras. The garage isn't connected to the house via Ethernet and I can't do that until some point next year. I have tried using wireless HDMI adapters to stream the video from the NVR in the garage to my basement office where I want the display to be. 95% of the time the HDMI adapters couldn't connect to show the live view. I tried buying a better pair of HDMI adapters and they were actually worse than the first ones I tried. My next test was to try a Powerline adapter to see if I could just connect the camera to the network in my house and then use software like Blue Iris to detect the camera. No luck... I guess my garage and house are on two different circuits. So now I'm trying to come up with another solution and found myself here. Other hardware that I have (in case it matters): TMobile Home Internet connected to a Synology RT6600 router. The distance from my basement office to the garage where the NVR is located is about 20 ft. WiFi from my house does extend into the garage but I would rather not stream 24/7 video over the internet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you considered outdoor point to point wifi? Might eliminate the need to bury a cable run between the house and garage.

Or, since wifi does reach the garage, all you would need is a wifi bridge in the garage. It wouldn't be streaming over the Internet, just on your local WLAN

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Would this solution require drilling into the wall of the garage and the wall of the house to then run Ethernet cables? If so, that won't work either for me.
Yes.

Since you said wifi does reach the garage, all you would need is a wifi bridge in the garage that connects back to the main house provided you can locate it where the signals will reach.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Many wireline adapters do not bridge across the 2 110v circuits (single phase) that the typical home has. Most garages should have both legs of 110v since they would be needed to supply 220v for electric dryers etc. You may move the adapter to different outlets in the garage and/or office to find it it will work. If you are electricaly inclined, you could trace a leg by looking in the breaker box and often a circuit could be swapped in the breaker box to achieve this.

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes.

Since you said wifi does reach the garage, all you would need is a wifi bridge in the garage that connects back to the main house provided you can locate it where the signals will reach.
Ok, but then when I am watching the live feed, it would be going through my TMobile home internet, right? I'm afraid that would make the rest of my network slower and would use a lot of data.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, but then when I am watching the live feed, it would be going through my TMobile home internet, right? I'm afraid that would make the rest of my network slower and would use a lot of data.
The camera streams would be on your local wifi SSID broadcast by the Synology RT6600 router, not via TMobile Home Internet.

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
Many wireline adapters do not bridge across the 2 110v circuits (single phase) that the typical home has. Most garages should have both legs of 110v since they would be needed to supply 220v for electric dryers etc. You may move the adapter to different outlets in the garage and/or office to find it it will work. If you are electricaly inclined, you could trace a leg by looking in the breaker box and often a circuit could be swapped in the breaker box to achieve this.
Unfortunately, I'm kind of stuck where the outlets are right now for both the house (near the router) and the garage where the Ethernet cables coming off the cameras have been routed. ‍

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh yeah? Ok, now we're talking! So what would that setup look like exactly?
Something like this. You can put most consumer routers in bridge mode or you can buy a wifi extender that has an ethernet port to connect to the NVR. You would be able to access the NVR web interface and likely RTSP re-streams for the cameras from the NVR.

Untitled Diagram-2.jpg

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you actually just draw that for me? Ah but here's the question... After setting this up, how do I connect the display in the house to view the cameras from the NVR/cameras in the garage?
Can you provide manufacturer and model of the NVR and cameras? Perhaps links to the user manual?

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you provide manufacturer and model of the NVR and cameras? Perhaps links to the user manual?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you plug the power line adapter and the other end directly into the outlet- they don't like surge protectors.

Maybe it still won't work, but wanted to offer that in the event you tried with a surge protector.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

I might have gone with different products, but be that as it may.

I assume you have the cameras and NVR working together already. If so, looks like you can remotely access the NVR via its web interface to bring up camera feeds.

There is not a lot of details in the NVR manual to know if it supports RTSP re-streaming of the camera feeds to connect it up to BI, but there does appear to be a EseeCloud or IP PRO mobile app you can use to connect to the NVR remotely, but not sure if that streams via your Internet connection or not. You also have to weigh the risks of trusting some unknown cloud based service access to your NVR/cameras.

You might want to temporality connect the NVR to your home router and try to login to the web interface to see if it what you want.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 10.05.51 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 10.14.51 PM.png

Last edited:

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As you have a Synology RT6600 router how about.

1. Add a Synology wrx560 (or the older MR2200 ac) access point to the garage and a POE hub.
2. wirelessly connect the access point to your RT6600 (easy in the SRM software interface)
3. Move the NVR to the house.

The load of the cameras on the (internal) network will be irrelevant, if you're worried you could create your own sub-net, but I wouldn't worry.

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure you plug the power line adapter and the other end directly into the outlet- they don't like surge protectors.

Maybe it still won't work, but wanted to offer that in the event you tried with a surge protector.
Yes, I did that. I am going to try moving the powerline adapter to a different outlet today.

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
I might have gone with different products, but be that as it may.

I assume you have the cameras and NVR working together already. If so, looks like you can remotely access the NVR via its web interface to bring up camera feeds.

There is not a lot of details in the NVR manual to know if it supports RTSP re-streaming of the camera feeds to connect it up to BI, but there does appear to be a EseeCloud or IP PRO mobile app you can use to connect to the NVR remotely, but not sure if that streams via your Internet connection or not. You also have to weigh the risks of trusting some unknown cloud based service access to your NVR/cameras.

You might want to temporality connect the NVR to your home router and try to login to the web interface to see if it what you want.

View attachment 179098

View attachment 179099
I bought it based on one of my writers who had purchased it and several cameras and was raving about the image quality and how rock solid it is. He has his all hardwired unlike what I need to do though.
I have not tried to connect to the live feed through the NVR's web interface because I thought it would need to be on the internet and it isn't. I have time today to try all these suggestions so hopefully something will work :)