Cameras on a detached garage. How to live view from the house?

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
As you have a Synology RT6600 router how about.

1. Add a Synology wrx560 (or the older MR2200 ac) access point to the garage and a POE hub.
2. wirelessly connect the access point to your RT6600 (easy in the SRM software interface)
3. Move the NVR to the house.

The load of the cameras on the (internal) network will be irrelevant, if you're worried you could create your own sub-net, but I wouldn't worry.
A POE hub is a switch then? Connect the 2 camera's ethernet ports to the switch and connect the switch with an ethernet cable to the MR2200 (I actually have an older synology router laying around), bring the NVR into the house and connect it to the RT6600 with an Ethernet cable and voila? Do I have that right or am I missing something? Could I use a regular switch in the garage or does it have to be a POE hub?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A "hub" is not a "switch". Just forget the term "hub", you'll only be using "switches", with or without POE; a POE camera can be powered by a POE switch, POE injector or POE NVR.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. Add a Synology wrx560 (or the older MR2200 ac) access point to the garage and a POE hub.
Do you mean POE "switch" ?

3. Move the NVR to the house.
If the NVR in the garage is a POE NVR but you move the NVR to the house and connect the cameras to a POE switch, what do you need to do with the cameras' IP addresses since they are no longer connected to a POE NVR?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@gadgeteer ,

IAs mentioned by @wittaj , you might be better off by going back to the Ethernet over powerline adapter schema, but this time try one with G.hn technology that does better regarding having one PLA plugged into a receptacle fed by one leg of 120VAC (left side circuit breaker in the panel) and the other PLA being plugged into a receptacle fed by the other leg of 120VAC (right side circuit breaker in the panel). The G.hn tech also provides better speeds and improved reliability.

EDITED 12/2 @ 1017 CT: you didn't say if you tried finding a circuit in the house that was fed by a breaker that's on the same side of the panel as the breaker that feeds the garage.

The one linked has free return if it doesn't pan out.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I put Ubiquiti Nano Loco point to point devices on a remote garage. never dropped a connection in almost 3 years.
That would have been my first choice but the OP stated he can't / doesn't want to drill any holes or run cable and that it's 20 ft. from basement to where the NVR is in the garage so.....:idk:

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A POE hub is a switch then? Connect the 2 camera's ethernet ports to the switch and connect the switch with an ethernet cable to the MR2200 (I actually have an older synology router laying around), bring the NVR into the house and connect it to the RT6600 with an Ethernet cable and voila? Do I have that right or am I missing something? Could I use a regular switch in the garage or does it have to be a POE hub?

sorry I should have said a POE switch, something like

Great if you have an old Synology Router like a RT2600 that will work, so the only outlay to test is a POE switch. I assume your NVR won't care so long as it can find the cameras on the network. (of course you can test the "old router" without the POE switch.

( I don't use a NVR, I use a Synology NAS and surveillance station)

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
Update.
I installed the mobile app for the NVR and can see the live view of the cameras from my phone. I tried to access the NVR from my MacBook using Chrome and it won't show the camera. Both the mobile app and web app are really slow and have a pretty crummy interface. Now I'm thinking that I might want to ditch the NVR and figure out a way to access the PoE cameras via software on my MacBook so I will try creating a mesh network with RT2600. I'll need a PoE switch right? I can't just plug the camera's into the RT2600?

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Update.
I installed the mobile app for the NVR and can see the live view of the cameras from my phone. I tried to access the NVR from my MacBook using Chrome and it won't show the camera. Both the mobile app and web app are really slow and have a pretty crummy interface. Now I'm thinking that I might want to ditch the NVR and figure out a way to access the PoE cameras via software on my MacBook so I will try creating a mesh network with RT2600. I'll need a PoE switch right? I can't just plug the camera's into the RT2600?
You may be able to access the RTSP streams from the camera, perhaps in VLC, but I would do as I suggested so you can use the full functionality of the PVR

If the cameras a need POE, the RT2600 will NOT provide it, so you will need a POE injector or a POE Switch, probably about the same cost. Personally I would use a POE switch as it's a bit tidier.

If you're going to create a mesh, I would have thought moving the PVR inside would be the best plan. i.e.

Garage has RT2600, POE switch and two cameras.
Basement has NVR, RT6600, Mac

If you're thinking of ditching the NVR, I have used a Synology DS120J NAS box to run a couple of cameras on Surveillance station without issue, you can often. pick up DS120J on eBay for <$90.

I currently use a DVA1622 with 12 cameras, and I use the Mac client on M2 Macs.

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
You may be able to access the RTSP streams from the camera, perhaps in VLC, but I would do as I suggested so you can use the full functionality of the PVR

If the cameras a need POE, the RT2600 will NOT provide it, so you will need a POE injector or a POE Switch, probably about the same cost. Personally I would use a POE switch as it's a bit tidier.

If you're going to create a mesh, I would have thought moving the PVR inside would be the best plan. i.e.

Garage has RT2600, POE switch and two cameras.
Basement has NVR, RT6600, Mac

If you're thinking of ditching the NVR, I have used a Synology DS120J NAS box to run a couple of cameras on Surveillance station without issue, you can often. pick up DS120J on eBay for <$90.

I currently use a DVA1622 with 12 cameras, and I use the Mac client on M2 Macs.
The basement has my office with the Mac, but the router and the Tmobile home internet gateway is on the 2nd floor for the best signal. That's why things are a bit of a pain to connect because they are spread between 2 buildings, and 3 floors. :eek:) I'm going to order the POE switch.

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could just try the Rt2600 in the garage and see if it will connect to the rt 6600 you don’t actually need to have the cameras connected.

I think you’ll need to reset the Rt2600 first for the rt6600 to see it as an access point

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
You could just try the Rt2600 in the garage and see if it will connect to the rt 6600 you don’t actually need to have the cameras connected.

I think you’ll need to reset the Rt2600 first for the rt6600 to see it as an access point
Update! I set up the RT2600 as a node for the RT6600AX and connected a TP-LINK POE switch with the two POE cameras that had been connected to the NVR. I then installed an app on my MacBook called IP Camera Viewer 2. This software detected one of the cameras (not the original camera that was working with the NVR, but a 2nd camera that didn't work with the NVR - I know this is confusing). The app is basic but it allows me to live view the camera and it's been super stable. I like this solution because I don't need to have a separate monitor. Now I just need to replace the camera I originally bought with the NVR from Temu (bleh) and I'll be set! If there's better software for Mac for IP cameras, I'd like to know about it.

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good to hear the RT2600 and RT6600 connected, I've been really impressed with Synology so far, way better than the QNAP I had.

Are also able to connect your Mac to the NVR, as they are all on the same network now?

It seems "odd" that you're able connect to a camera via IP camera Viewer 2, but not able to connect the same camera to your NVR?

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
Good to hear the RT2600 and RT6600 connected, I've been really impressed with Synology so far, way better than the QNAP I had.

Are also able to connect your Mac to the NVR, as they are all on the same network now?

It seems "odd" that you're able connect to a camera via IP camera Viewer 2, but not able to connect the same camera to your NVR?
I agree that it's strange that I can't use the IP VIEWER to view the IP camera that works fine with the NVR. I tried again today and found that I can partially access the camera using its IP address, but it has a very old web interface that uses Adobe Flash, so it won't allow for a live view. It does show a snapshot though, so I know the camera is working.

I can connect to the NVR on my network, but just like that camera, it uses a crappy web interface that requires Microsoft Explorer. I'm on a Mac and Microsoft Edge doesn' work.

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
wow using "flash" that must be old!.

As mentioned before, I would consider replacing the NVR, with a used DS120J, and a 1TB drive. it comes with Synology Surveillance station and 2 camera licences, shouldn't cost more than $150. The Mac client works great on M2 and Intel Macs, has a iOS client and web interface that works with Safari etc.

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
wow using "flash" that must be old!.

As mentioned before, I would consider replacing the NVR, with a used DS120J, and a 1TB drive. it comes with Synology Surveillance station and 2 camera licences, shouldn't cost more than $150. The Mac client works great on M2 and Intel Macs, has a iOS client and web interface that works with Safari etc.
Thank you for the advice. I will definitely look into it. Like this one?

What about cameras? The camera that is working for me is an Amcrest bullet camera that I purchased from amazon (no more Temu for me!). Should I stick with Amcrest or are there other brands that are better?

bank

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes that's the one, you'll need to add a drive, 1TB with two cameras should be sufficient for 7 days recording. It should be able to cope with 4-5 cameras, but you'll need additional licenses

So far as cameras, provided they support ONVIF, they should work. I have been buying used Hikvision cameras off flea bay and they have worked fine for around $60 - $75.

I have no experience with Amcrest or Temu.

Just shout if you need any help setting them up.

gadgeteer

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes that's the one, you'll need to add a drive, 1TB with two cameras should be sufficient for 7 days recording. It should be able to cope with 4-5 cameras, but you'll need additional licenses

So far as cameras, provided they support ONVIF, they should work. I have been buying used Hikvision cameras off flea bay and they have worked fine for around $60 - $75.

I have no experience with Amcrest or Temu.

Just shout if you need any help setting them up.
Thank you so much for your help and everyone else, thanks too!