Cameras will not initalize

BCMguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm setting up my cameras for BlueIris - I've been able to log into all of my 2MP starlight cams and my HDBW4231FP-E2-M via the web interface on a computer set to the same LAN as the default 192.168.1.108. I was able to change the IP and password no problem.

The problem is with my T5442TM-AS and a 3 year old 5231 that act as though they're not even plugged in... I cannot access the Web Interface nor does the Config tool see anything connected. When I opened up the cameras themselves I see the green LED indicating they're powered on, but I cannot connect to them in any way.

Any idea what might be going on here? It's odd since I was able to connect to most of my cameras without issue, but not these two...

Thoughts?

Thank you!!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My first thought is have config tool search the entire universe of ip addresses. I vaguely remember that the 5442 has an easily accessed reset button under the SD card cover.

BCMguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It already is... the 5442 is factory new right out of the box... never been connected to anything before.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Plug one and only one camera in. Change the ip address to an unused ip address that is in your home subnet range. Then add that camera to bi. Then do the next camera. One camera at a time. Never use ip address 192.168.1.108
What is the local ip address of your router ?

What is the local ip of the bi pc ?

BCMguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right now the computer is not networked at all. I set it to a static IP of 192.168.1.100. I'm connecting the cameras individually to change their IP to a VLAN setup to be used later. I'm using a POE injector to power the cams and am plugging them directly into the computer.

I was able to connect to and change the IPs of the above listed cameras, however its the 5442 and the 5231 that will not do anything. They're powering up, however I cannot find them in the config tool nor by going to 192.168.1.108 in multiple browsers. Its as if the cameras are not plugged in at all.

Thats the part that has me so confused. Why just those two cams?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Right now the computer is not networked at all. I set it to a static IP of 192.168.1.100. I'm connecting the cameras individually to change their IP to a VLAN setup to be used later. I'm using a POE injector to power the cams and am plugging them directly into the computer.

I was able to connect to and change the IPs of the above listed cameras, however its the 5442 and the 5231 that will not do anything. They're powering up, however I cannot find them in the config tool nor by going to 192.168.1.108 in multiple browsers. Its as if the cameras are not plugged in at all.

Thats the part that has me so confused. Why just those two cams?
Because they are already initialised one way or the other. So, whilst being connected to POE and "running", hold the physical factory reset button (is a reddish one on 5231 if I'm not mistaken), hold it for 30seconds. You'll hear the camera power cyle, thén release the button and wait a few more seconds. Let ConfigTool re-search the network. If it doesn't find anything, the next best thing is to power off the camera, launch wireshark/tcpdump and powercycle the address. You'll see broadcasts coming from the cam homing to China's Capital. Then you'll know where to shoot at.

Good luck!
CC

BCMguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've completed a factory reset on the 5231 already, no joy. I'll have to try your other suggestions.
Is it possible that somehow the poe injector isn't giving these cams enough juice? I think I have another one around I can try.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I've completed a factory reset on the 5231 already, no joy. I'll have to try your other suggestions.
Is it possible that somehow the poe injector isn't giving these cams enough juice? I think I have another one around I can try.
That is possible. Especially when it's darker on your testbench and the IR goes nuts.