Cameras with Built-in ANPR or LPR function

Al*_*

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wonder why there is little discussion on cameras with built-in ANPR or LPR function
That is how I found your thread, which last post was IN 2017...., I asked myself the same. Thank you for starting this thread. It is not very much alive so I could have started a new one but as you probably noticed, not much input. I do hope I can get it alive again (not much hopes tho).

As you described, I wondered the same. All these people trying to capture license plates with 'normal' surveillance camera's where there seems to be solutions doing a much better job. You mentioned Hikvision, me myself I stumbled over the Dahua ITC237-PW1B-RZ.

Where I live there is a saying, 'use the right tool for the right job'.

In my search, initially I had honestly had to look up what LPR and ANPR meant. Since we post in the section LPR (License Plate Recognition) I guess partly there you could have found the answer. I guess otherwise there would have been a section ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) as well.

From what I now understand they are the best tool for the job but there are a couple reasons why these ANPR camera's seem not popular (for private use)
  • availability (seems it is just a specimen you aint likely to find on ebay/aliexpress, if at all)
  • cost (see also availability, can buy these cameras only at certified dealers $$$$)
  • operation (although one might believe, these cameras are not to be connected to your 'home-use' nvr and do not work out of the box)
  • firmware (every user understand how important updates are and it is simply not attractive when you need to call your dealer, read: $$$)
So for this moment in time I guess we will keep reading threads where people with turrets or 100$ cameras ask how best position their cameras for good LPR

peace :headbang:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is how I found your thread, which last post was IN 2017...., I asked myself the same. Thank you for starting this thread. It is not very much alive so I could have started a new one but as you probably noticed, not much input. I do hope I can get it alive again (not much hopes tho).

As you described, I wondered the same. All these people trying to capture license plates with 'normal' surveillance camera's where there seems to be solutions doing a much better job. You mentioned Hikvision, me myself I stumbled over the Dahua ITC237-PW1B-RZ.

Where I live there is a saying, 'use the right tool for the right job'.

In my search, initially I had honestly had to look up what LPR and ANPR meant. Since we post in the section LPR (License Plate Recognition) I guess partly there you could have found the answer. I guess otherwise there would have been a section ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) as well.

From what I now understand they are the best tool for the job but there are a couple reasons why these ANPR camera's seem not popular (for private use)
  • availability (seems it is just a specimen you aint likely to find on ebay/aliexpress, if at all)
  • cost (see also availability, can buy these cameras only at certified dealers $$$$)
  • operation (although one might believe, these cameras are not to be connected to your 'home-use' nvr and do not work out of the box)
  • firmware (every user understand how important updates are and it is simply not attractive when you need to call your dealer, read: $$$)
So for this moment in time I guess we will keep reading threads where people with turrets or 100$ cameras ask how best position their cameras for good LPR

peace :headbang:
You are mistaken..The dedicated LPR cameras are no better at capturing the plate than a standard camera. Some have added features like ANPR which is about 90 percent accurate at slow speeds...
You are also wrong on the following:
availablilty - they are readily available..
operation - they do connect to "home-use" nvr's
Firmware -is free and easily obtained.

Where i live there is a saying..."re-label a product with a fancy name and there is always a fool that will pay triple"...
you should read the threads where folks use 100 cameras for lpr - you will learn a thing or two.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IIRC, the offerings from Hikvision and Dahua with built in ANPR don't recognize USA license plates.

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I implemented a LPR solution for the price of a $180 camera and about 4 hours tinkering. It uses the free version of OpenALPR which only retains 2 days of plates on their hosted website. To get around the two day limitation I'm running a daily csv download of the plate database. If two weeks passes by and I need the image of the car and plate I can locate the timestamp in the csv export file and review the video for that time. I plan to hook up my own backend to the OpenALPR solution so I can keep as much history as I want.....not. sure when I'll get that done. Here's my post documenting my solution:
IPC-HFW5231E-Z12 LPR from 137 feet

Paramesh

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,everyone

DS-2 CD4A26FWD-IZ/P 8- ANPR camera captures license plate but the plate details listed in the NVR is missing the alphabets and has only figures. eg. for the plate number AWX 4523, the listing doesn't list AWX and only numbers are displayed. While the license plate "picture" is alright with everything captured. Appreciate, if someone can advise how to fix this. pic attached

Attachments

Reaction score
To get around the two day limitation I'm running a daily csv download of the plate database. If two weeks passes by and I need the image of the car and plate I can locate the timestamp in the csv export file and review the video for that time.
I was considering something similar. Do you have a script or utility to automate the download process, or do you perform each download manually?

Housing184

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,everyone

DS-2 CD4A26FWD-IZ/P 8- ANPR camera captures license plate but the plate details listed in the NVR is missing the alphabets and has only figures. eg. for the plate number AWX 4523, the listing doesn't list AWX and only numbers are displayed. While the license plate "picture" is alright with everything captured. Appreciate, if someone can advise how to fix this. pic attached
Paramesh...I am a "Newbie" but I recently installed that same camera with the 8-32mm lens using a Hikvision DS-7716NI-I4/16P NVR...What NVR are you using? maybe I can share my NVR settings!
John...

Jeremeyh

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm using DS-2CD4A26FWD-IZS/P with
DS-7616NI-I2/8P NVR. I bought both from aliexpress, and both have been updated from the hikvision official website and are working fine. The people saying that ANPR doesn't work out of the box are correct, but the special firmware is available if you search hard enough. Here is a link to the latest Australian ANPR firmware.

Australian Firmware_ANPR camera_V5.4.7_180629 - Hikvision Australia

Here is the European version

https://ipcamtalk.com/attachments/ff_r3_en_std_5-4-5_170710_car-zip.32169/

kiwibird

n3wb
Reaction score
saw this small print
"We do not provide OCR software. Because different country have different rules for Car lisence."
The expression, the devil is in the details. Still a graph image of the number plates would still be useful, but a big step down.

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
The night images looks great.
The OCR looks very good

Being able to read this image is unbelievable
20181020184859160_HP6544

Attachments

Last edited:

azapa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Miles thanks for your detailed information. I have been looking at the same camera for some time. Can it be set to upload images to FTP of the car that it DOES NOT have in its onboard whitelist, or that it can NOT get the plate information for?

Cheers!