Cameras with UV light instead of IR ?

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello,

Did anyone tried this to see the result at night in the range of 380-385nm wave length ?

I am curious about the visual result and how it may change with or without IR filter at night (of course IR filter should not change the result at night but as I said I am curious).

Of course camera will have IR light off in any.

For example this could be usefull to check if you have some scorpio moving at night but could also produce funny results on human's faces.

regards.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You want to use a black light with a camera? heh, IIRC putting one on front patio for Halloween once and it was hardly picked up by it.. I have a UV Bug Zapper by my trailer and it does absolutely nothing to the camera, yet causes my eyeglasses to white out so I basically loose my night vision and struggle in the dark.. I cannot even detect if its on/off from the camera, though its not pointed AT the zapper it definitely spreads light in its field of view.

think u need special sensors sensitive to it; doubt any security cameras will be.

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Dodutils,

One consideration not mentioned is the camera sensor's response in the UV range.

The sensor's response is strong well to the right of the visible spectrum. On the left, the sensor's response in the UV spectrum is not as strong. If you used 400nm to 45nm, you might get "illumination" of your target that wouldn't be visible to the naked eye....

You mentioned 380 to 385nm. I pasted a generic "camera sensor spectral response" curve, and not sure how closely that curves is to a curve for the actual sensor in your camera.

Interesting - I've thought about illumination frequency before. Cams we built for vehicles had to have discrete illumination. The 850 to 880nm were too visible to the naked eye, and our customer refused them. We used 940nm, with an optical "notch filter" coating that let 940nm pass, but the curve was such that other IR was attenuated. Colors were realistic. No moveable IR cut filter. Worked pretty well. Nightime was b&w image.

The coyotes here seem to zero-in on my cameras, and when passing, typically stare right at the cam. Even before and after the driveway floodlights trip on (PIR). The flood light turning on has zero effect. The ring of IR LEDs seems mildly disturbing to the coyotes.

Fastb

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK that's why I asked, I know the sensors are better seeing IR range than UV but never tested so... But as I am buying this 850nm (edit: 350nm ) UV flashlight (invisible to human eyes) question came into my mind and according to the generic response curve posted by @Fastb I am not sure about the result.

@nayr I still have a black light somewhere (20 years old), could try it for fun and for the bug zapper, well not sure it work in such high wave range.

But anyway I am a curious guy and I will wait for my UV flashlight to do some tests :)

Last edited:

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Isn't that the IR wavelength as opposed to UV?
Is it just a typo in the product description?
UV are opposite to IR each one at each end of light spectrum and 850nm is UV were 350nm is down to IR

edit : 350nm is UV were 850nm is IR

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
UV are opposite to IR each one at each end of light spectrum and 850nm is UV were 350nm is down to IR
That is incorrect. Exactly the opposite. See another chart.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Dodutils,

I think you had a typo in your post.

You probably meant "850nm IR flashlight"

Fastb
Ho yes and I wrote "Did anyone tried this to see the result at night in the range of 380-385nm wave length"... Alzheimer's hit ;-)