Cameras won't seem to power on

Jomoly

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got these two cameras from Andy, IPC-HDW4231EM-AS and IPC-HDBW5231R-Z. I took apart the 4231 to put in the MicroSD card and then plug it into my network. My network is wired like this modem > router > switch > poe injector > camera. After plugging it in, I can not hear anything from the camera nor see the light on that switch port lit up. The router does not pick up the camera and I get that 404 error when I type in the IP. The next thing I tried is to plug in the 5231 camera which is still in the box sealed and the same thing happened. Finally, I tried to plug in the ethernet cable that is currently powering my Foscam poe camera and nothing happened as well. What can I be doing wrong? Please help a newbie. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got these two cameras from Andy, IPC-HDW4231EM-AS and IPC-HDBW5231R-Z. I took apart the 4231 to put in the MicroSD card and then plug it into my network. My network is wired like this modem > router > switch > poe injector > camera. After plugging it in, I can not hear anything from the camera nor see the light on that switch port lit up. The router does not pick up the camera and I get that 404 error when I type in the IP. The next thing I tried is to plug in the 5231 camera which is still in the box sealed and the same thing happened. Finally, I tried to plug in the ethernet cable that is currently powering my Foscam poe camera and nothing happened as well. What can I be doing wrong? Please help a newbie. Thanks.
what poe injector?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
On the PoE injector, make sure LAN port goes to router and PoE port goes to the camera. Sound like cheapo or bad injector.

How did you install the SD card in the 4231? Did you slid open the gate and lift it up before putting the SD card in then lock the gate back in place?

Bill

Jomoly

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry I don't know how to post a link but it's this from Amazon from Wifi Texas

WS-POE-8-48v60w Passive 10/100 Power over Ethernet PoE

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jomoly

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I did more testing and I think I narrowed it down. I found a power supply so I plugged it in directly to the camera and the cat5 straight to the router. It work's!. So it looks like that poe injector is not compatible with Dalhua? I've been using it to power my Foscam with no problem and the reviews from Amazon have people using it for Hikvision as well. Anyone know a cheap injector that works preferably 8 ports or more?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I did more testing and I think I narrowed it down. I found a power supply so I plugged it in directly to the camera and the cat5 straight to the router. It work's!. So it looks like that poe injector is not compatible with Dalhua? I've been using it to power my Foscam with no problem and the reviews from Amazon have people using it for Hikvision as well. Anyone know a cheap injector that works preferably 8 ports or more?
it is 100 percent compatible..you are doing something wrong...are you splitting the connection at the end with some sort of splitter? if so dont..poe is transmitted via the ethernet cable directly to the camera - you should not have anything plugged into the 12v power connection on the camera.

Jomoly

n3wb
Reaction score
I just checked what I have again and it's the 8-24v60w version instead of the 48 volt 60 watts power supply version. Maybe that's why? There's no splitter. I'm just connecting a 3 feet cat5 from the injector to the camera. I still need to configure it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just checked what I have again and it's the 8-24v60w version instead of the 48 volt 60 watts power supply version. Maybe that's why? There's no splitter. I'm just connecting a 3 feet cat5 from the injector to the camera. I still need to configure it.
yes, you have the wrong injector...

Reaction score
You have the right injector, just the wrong power supply. The manufacturer will swap that power supply out for you if you call them.