Can a Comcast Modem be set to Bridge mode, Arris TG1682G

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to help my BIL via long distance to setup OpenVPN for his cam system.
Anyone had hands on with this modem, Arris TG1682G

1-Can the user set Bridge mode, or does Comcast have to do it? There is no login info on any of the stickers on the modem/router.
2-I'm going to have him pair it with an Asus RT-AC68U router.
3-Any gotchas you're aware of?
He's in the Florida Panhandle if regions matter.

Thanks

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If it is a residential account, typically yes via the modem configuration page at Installers often leave it as admin/password for credentials.

If it is a business account, no. The modem must use Comcast's configuration to maintain static IP assignments.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He says, 192.168.100.1 does not work. But 10.0.0.1 does work. Is that going to get to correct interface? I'm working with a non tekie. Thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have that modem Comcast TG1682G . It can be set to bridge mode. I use to access the modem. It has been a long time since i set it up.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

The password and account (admin) is on the tag on the modem.
I need to go out, I be back later with more info. There is instructions online but as always i can not remember where

Reaction score
Trying to help my BIL via long distance to setup OpenVPN for his cam system.
Anyone had hands on with this modem, Arris TG1682G

1-Can the user set Bridge mode, or does Comcast have to do it? There is no login info on any of the stickers on the modem/router.
2-I'm going to have him pair it with an Asus RT-AC68U router.
3-Any gotchas you're aware of?
He's in the Florida Panhandle if regions matter.

Thanks
Yes, it is easy, as @SouthernYankee shows in previous post. Mine was accessible via 10.0.0.1 and initially I did not have to connect directly to the modem to change to bridge mode. Note that once you do change it to bridge mode, you will only be able to access it if you directly connect to the modem/router/VOIP Router from Arris should you want to change something. I initially bought a VOIP Arris Router to get away from the monthly fee, as it was only $40 on eBay.
The firmware that came on it was way more robust than what Comcast uses. After connecting to Comcast's network, they overwrote it with their version and it was the same as the rental unit I had before. Not a big deal, but I was a little disappointed.

I initially used a pair of Asus RT-AC68U router in mesh mode, also. They work well and are really easy to setup OpenVPN on.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks very much! Interestingly, I had him send me pictures of all the tags/stickers on the modem, and there isn't any login info on any of them. BUT, he had the user/password wrote down (surprise) He's been able to access the routers setup. Thanks again for the assistance! Waiting on the router to show up at this point.