Can an i5 handle 8 cams?

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm disappointed in the nvr that I purchased and am beginning to learn that it will be a constant upgrade game with nvr's if I want to utilize the latest and greatest camera features. I have a Lenovo i5 desktop that is currently only used for kids schoolwork browsing and watching youtube. Will an i5 handle 8 cameras?

How often does bi get upgrades to utilize new camera feature?

Will I have to purchase ever new version or are upgrades free?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
List your i5 number. There are many variations. RAM can play a role as well. Some motherboards max capacity is 4 or 8 GB. I use a test system with an i5 2310 and 8GB RAM that performs beautifully with 14 cams.
BI updates often. Turn off automatic updates.
Nothing worth having is ever free. There is a nominal annual fee.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
List your i5 number. There are many variations. RAM can play a role as well. Some motherboards max capacity is 4 or 8 GB. I use a test system with an i5 2310 and 8GB RAM that performs beautifully with 14 cams.
BI updates often. Turn off automatic updates.
Nothing worth having is ever free. There is a nominal annual fee.
I5-4660 12 gb ram. What's nominal?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
To clarify, the annual fee is only for updates and support. It only applies after the first year and includes free upgrades to new versions (like BI5)...Also, to date, he is still providing free updates to all users.
Also remember that the number of cams you can run on any given processor depends on the camera resolution and frame rates.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To clarify, the annual fee is only for updates and support. It only applies after the first year and includes free upgrades to new versions (like BI5)...Also, to date, he is still providing free updates to all users.
Also remember that the number of cams you can run on any given processor depends on the camera resolution and frame rates.
Currently have 2 4mp dahua 4421r 1 2mp huisun mini ptz. Plan on adding another mini ptz and more of the 4421s but in the as version.

Prime

n3wb
Reaction score
PowerEdge 1950s are from the Core2 era (~2006). Your quad-core i5 is more powerful than all 8 cores of that old server, which will also draw a large amount of power and be quite loud.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What prime said. Dont mess with the oldweak powerhogs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Found an i5 optiplex for 180. Prolly get it for cheaper. Craigslist special

i5 optiplex is meaningless. What generation is it? Dont buy the old first gen models...they dont support quicksync..You can get a fourth gen i5 for 300.