Can anyone help?

lew247

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section but not sure where it should go

I bought a HKVISION DS-7808N-K2/8P NVR

I know it's a Chinese version, it came with English language installed and active so setting up wasn't "much" of a problem
apart from the annoying 3 and 2 beeps which after checking online I was able to disable

MY problem is up to now I've only used analogue cameras and dvr and I am completely stumped on how to set the cameras up

I bought several cameras which are POE IP cameras - so should work with no problem (hmm lots of problems)}

This is the specs of the cameras
Wired IP Camera with Real HD resolution 5MP.

H.265 main profile and baseline.
Support 48V POE function.
Support P2P remote access, using free APP and PC software.
Support motion detection (needs private protocol when using NVR).
Sending alert messages to Email or alert images to FTP server.
Support various network protocols: RTSP, Onvif 2.4, HTTP, DDNS, DHCP, etc.

As they are Onvif I presume they are compatable, and should work perfectly, even if I had to use one of the other protocols it should still work

However I am getting nothing when connecting the cameras
They do not work with the auto settings
If I change it to Onvif it still doesn't work

This is what I am getting on the screen

IS anyone able to help me configuring the NVR so the cameras will work please?
Or give me any ideas where to start

The network cables I am using do work, I checked them out with a network cable tester

The cameras are HongJingTian (HJT)
and I have opened ports in the router 32120 - 32127 not sure how many ports I need
But I can't get the DVR to even connect to the cameras - not even one, it tried to connect the fails

Basically I need someone to help me step by step on how to get this working

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As they are Onvif I presume they are compatable, and should work perfectly
But you will likely need to figure out what the 'ONVIF port' is for the cameras, in order to configure the NVR (via a custom protocol set to use the ONVIF protocol) to connect to the cameras. And you will need to figure out the IP address of the cameras, so that you can access the camera web GUI and set the IP address to match that of the PoE ports in the NVR.

Suggestion:
Download and install 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
Power a camera with a 12V 1A or more power supply, and connect it to your LAN (router port?) with an Ethernet cable.
Start ONVIF Device Manager.
Hopefully it will find the camera, assuming it is set to DHCP and your router has assigned it an IP address.
Give ODM some login credentials for the camera (top left corner of the window).
Note down the 'ONVIF port' as seen in the URL at the bottom of the 'Identification' page.

If ODM cannot find the camera -
Find the camera IP address from the 'connected devices' list on your router, or via the 'Search' facility of the CMS software supplied with the camera.

Point your browser at the camera IP address, log in with admin (no password needed probably)
In the Network Configuration pages - set the camera IP address to match that of the NVR PoE port you want to plug it in to.
It will be something line 192.168.254.2
Set the default gateway to 192.168.254.1

Disconnect the camera and plug it in to the NVR PoE port.

In the NVR web GUI, Camera Management, change the mode to manual of the PoE channel the camera is plugged in to.
Create a 'Custom Protocol' that uses the ONVIF protocol, and the 'ONVIF port' that ODM gave.
Select that Custom protocol for the PoE port the camera is plugged in to.

Hopefully - that should allow the camera to connect.

*edit*
and I have opened ports in the router 32120 - 32127 not sure how many ports I need
You absolutely do not need to do this. Revert this setting, not relevant to the stated problem.

lew247

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks
I did try that and was able to get a picture on the computer but once I try and configure the NVR I get nothing at all, no picture just a yellow triangle

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I did try that and was able to get a picture on the computer
A picture (Live Video) on ONVIF Device Manager?
What did it show for the ONVIF port? ie what was the URL at the bottom of the 'Identification' page?
For continuous recording, you could also add the cameras as a Generic RTSP model via the Custom Protocol method, using the RTSP URL at the bottom of the Live Video page in ODM.

lew247

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately my knowledge of IP cameras is that bad I really cannot get it connected up
I tried every setting I could think of, made custom protocol but it still failed

http port 80
rtsp port 554
http://192.168.1.54/onvif/device_service
mtu 1470

I'll have to see if anyone near Manchester can help me set it up, or I'll give up and buy Hikvision cameras which "should" be plug and play

lew247

n3wb
Reaction score
It's really bugging me :)
I can get the camera working fine on the computer and I have changed the settings (password and rtsp port)

This is the camera settings on the NVR

This is the "custom settings"

This is the Network settings on the NVR
I suspect it's here that something is wrong?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Point your browser at the camera IP address, log in with admin (no password needed probably)
In the Network Configuration pages - set the camera IP address to match that of the NVR PoE port you want to plug it in to.
It will be something line 192.168.254.2
Set the default gateway to 192.168.254.1
You haven't done the above.
You need to set the camera IP address correctly if you are going to connect it to the NVR PoE port.
And you've shown that the 'ONVIF port' from ONVIF Device Manager is 80.
So once you manage to set the camera IP address to 192.168.254.2 (for PoE channel 1) with the NVR channel set as ONVIF it should work OK.

In your Custom Protocol 1 - what makes you think the RTSP port is 5541 ?
It would normally be 554.
Again, this can be confirmed with ONVIF Device Manager, under Live Video, before you change the camera IP address from 192.168.1.54 to 192.168.254.2
You might be able to change the camera IP address and gateway (192.168.254.1) using ONVIF Device Manager, Network settings, if the camera allows it. Some do.

*edit* Best not to change the RTSP port - leave it at 554

lew247

n3wb
Reaction score
This is how I have it set now

It's still not working
The password is correct

I did change the rtsp port back to 554 but I'm pretty sure that's not the problem
It's really puzzling because it has to be something simple but I just cannot figure it out

Silly question maybe but does the DVR password have to be the same as the camera password?
It's not but I am putting the correct camera password in the settings for the cam

lew247

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep
I'll connect it back up to the computer in a sec to check the changes stayed

lew247

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes the IP address is 192.168.254.2
It won't connect to the pc now through the router which it did before I changed it

lew247

n3wb
Reaction score
Getting there now :)
I found one really STUPID mistake, the network cable for the camera wasn't fully pushed in to the dvr socket

However I now have this

It proves it's communicating but I've no idea what language it means

lew247

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it not possible to have the dvr assign IP addresses rather than changing it on each camera? (once I get it working*)