Can BI be installed on 2 computers but only record on one?

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had BI installed on my primary computer - the one I work on daily - as a service and with the user interface running for several months. BI has been taking between 24 and 35% of the CPU (a high-end I7 4 cores and 32GB RAM). I'd prefer to move BI to another computer dedicated to it, but would miss the user interface. I've tried the "web" interface, but prefer the actual program running.

Is it possible to install BI on 2 computers on the same network and only have it write video files on one? One computer would have the service running and write the files and the other computer would only be used to view the live feeds and recorded video from the main BI interface?

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
It can be done but you would need a BI license for each computer. I have BI4 on the pc I'm using as nvr, BI3 on my wife's pc just so she can view clips or live feed. She only keeps BI open long enough to view clips, then closes it due to cpu usage.

Last edited by a moderator:

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In short... No, but Ken has said this is in the roadmap for development. In the meantime, this is by far a better offering for the "remote PC" than the standard web interface

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/93-I-made-a-better-remote-live-view-page
Thanks for the link - I moved BI to another computer and I really like the new web interface.

But, the new computer (I7/12gb RAM) is running VERY hot. When I run the BI interface on it, the CPU usage ranges between 60% and 80%! Without the interface running, it uses about 50% CPU. It's also running very hot - hot enough to make me want to shut it down. The tower is under my desk, and the heat is too much to handle! Not sure why BI is so CPU intensive.

The computer I had it on previously was an I7 with 32GB RAM - BI only used about 24% CPU with it, which leaves me to wonder if it needs more memory than 12GB.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link - I moved BI to another computer and I really like the new web interface.

But, the new computer (I7/12gb RAM) is running VERY hot. When I run the BI interface on it, the CPU usage ranges between 60% and 80%! Without the interface running, it uses about 50% CPU. It's also running very hot - hot enough to make me want to shut it down. The tower is under my desk, and the heat is too much to handle! Not sure why BI is so CPU intensive.

The computer I had it on previously was an I7 with 32GB RAM - BI only used about 24% CPU with it, which leaves me to wonder if it needs more memory than 12GB.
What is the processor on the new system and old system. There are many variants of the i7?
Did you remember to set direct to disc for the cameras on the new system?
How many cameras and what resolution are you running them at?

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both processors are i7 with 4 cores (8 logical processors). One is a 3.5ghz and the other a 3.2ghz.

I have 7 cameras (6 Hikvision 3mbit) and 1 Logitech.

Not sure what this is - where is this setting - on BI or in the camera's web interface?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Both processors are i7 with 4 cores (8 logical processors). One is a 3.5ghz and the other a 3.2ghz.

I have 7 cameras (6 Hikvision 3mbit) and 1 Logitech.

Not sure what this is - where is this setting - on BI or in the camera's web interface?

The i7 name and clock speed are meaningless, what are the model numbers?
record tab >file format. In blue iris.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
right click on my computer and click on properties, it should tell you the model number, for example, mine says i7-4770k. the bit after i7 is the important bit to understand what your processor can do.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The current processor BI is running on is a I7-960 - the previous processor is a I7-3770k.

I set the direct-to-disc on for all the cameras but I don't think it will change CPU utilization if when idling (e.g., motion isn't detected and video isn't being recorded) - please correct me if that's not true. Per BI:

===================
Advanced users may wish to experiment with the Direct-To-Disc feature. Instead of recompressing the video for recording, an attempt is made to save the exact stream as received from the camera. This may not be used with the Windows Media container format, and only H.264 streams are appropriate for the MP4 file format at this time.

Where this technology will be invaluable is for the recording of HD and larger frame video, as recompressing these formats is highly CPU-intensive. The down-side to using direct-to-disc is that you will not be able to add graphic and time overlays such as the time-stamp. You will need to rely upon the camera to add these itself. Also, recording must begin at the arrival of a key-frame (complete image). If your camera sends these only infrequently, you may miss the beginning of some motion-activated recordings unless you also use the pre-trigger video buffer.

It is possible there are camera streams yet to be discovered which are not fully compatible with this recording method--if you require assistance please contact the developer.
===================

One side effect I saw to this is that the proportions of the recorded video aren't correct. I have "area of interest" set on several cameras, and the recorded video was grossly elongated with this setting.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@bertsirkin Direct to disk will help cpu usage dramatically even if no recording is taking place. You will need to use it if you are using 6 3mp hikvisions.
Compounding your issue is the cpu. The 960 is a VERY old and VERY inefficient cpu. Its likely not worth using as a 24/7 NVR as the power consumption costs outweigh any savings. Buy a more efficient machine.

https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-960+@+3.20GHz&id=838
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3770K+@+3.50GHz&id=2

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking of replacing the MB and processor, but, found a refurb HP Elite 8300 unit with a i7 3770s (3.1ghz) - (CPU mark 8915). Would this be a worthwhile replacement?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking of replacing the MB and processor, but, found a refurb HP Elite 8300 unit with a i7 3770s (3.1ghz) - (CPU mark 8915). Would this be a worthwhile replacement?
what is the cost of that machine?

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
$333 - almost sounds too good.

(I'd need to add memory (comes w/4gb) and hard drive (comes w/250gb). I have plenty of hard drives and may even have the memory.)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
$333 - almost sounds too good.
That is actually not that great of a deal. Haswell i7-4790 from dell business, optiplex 7020 have gone for 429...with full 3 year next business say warranties. The 8300 series is at least 3 years old

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The least expensive dell business optiplex 7020 on their site now is $719 (i7-4790). Even though the HP is 3 yrs old, would it have the horsepower to run BI reasonably well?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The least expensive dell business optiplex 7020 on their site now is $719 (i7-4790). Even though the HP is 3 yrs old, would it have the horsepower to run BI reasonably well?
They have a sale at the outlet twice a month. I would not buy a 3 year old system. its not worth it. It would have the horsepower but its a bad deal.
If you must have it now here are better options
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesk-800-Intel-i7-4790-3-6Ghz-16GB-RAM-NVS310-500GB-HDD-/121851057114?hash=item1c5ee393da:g:gNYAAOSwrklVS404 (remove crappy nvidia card)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-OPTIPLEX-7020-8GB-500GB-HDD-INTEL-CORE-i7-4790-/121823598208?hash=item1c5d409680:g:-dsAAOSwp5JWVOyo (message them to check on warranty status)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bertsirkin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll wait to see if it goes on sale at Dell.

Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI the $719 dell i7 is currently discounted to $540 (before tax) using the 25% off coupon that is currently active. Still not the best deal but it does start to get competetive with ebay.