Can Cisco Catalyst 3750X handle Mini PTZ

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All

I got another switch from work. It's Cisco 3750X.

I plug it in yesterday and everything seems to work without issue for all my cameras except Mini PTZ (SD4A425DB-HNY)

When at idle, the MINI PTZ have no issue. When triggered and it starts to pan and track the target, it would "loose signal" in BI.

FYI, all I did was to factory reset the switch and start using it. I did not configure anything.

Failed to connect.JPG

Thanks

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
That camera is 802.3at so is your switch? Have you tried different switch ports?

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That camera is 802.3at so is your switch? Have you tried different switch ports?
To be honest with you I'm a total newbie when it comes to networking. I'll admit that.

I just ask one of the folks at my work to see if they can spare a poe switch, and this is what I got.

I tried different ports as well.

Right now, I have the cover/case open. I just got the PTZ triggered and it didn't seem to loose connection. But this was 5 minutes into testing the switch again.

Not sure if it due to heat? The switch is in my garage.

This is what I got from Cisco website.

3750.jpg

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks like it depends on the specific model/power supply:

Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+)/Universal Power Over Ethernet (UPOE)

In addition to PoE 802.3af, the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series Switches support PoE+ (IEEE 802.3at standard), which provides up to 30W of power per port and UPOE, which provides 60W of power per port (only on UPOE-capable models). The Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series Switches can provide a lower total cost of ownership for deployments that incorporate Cisco IP phones, Cisco Aironet® wireless LAN (WLAN) access points, or any IEEE 802.3af-compliant end device. PoE removes the need for wall power to each PoE-enabled device and eliminates the cost for additional electrical cabling and circuits that would otherwise be necessary in IP phone and WLAN deployments. Table 8 shows the power supply combinations required for different PoE needs. Cisco UPOE switches extend the IEEE 802.3 PoE+ standard to double the power per port to 60 watts. UPOE-enabled ports can be used to deliver power for all current PoE/PoE+ solutions in addition to UPOE devices, including VDI clients, IP turrets for financial trading, personal Cisco TelePresence® systems, and more. The maximum UPOE budget available on the Cisco Catalyst 3750-X/3560-X switch is 1800W per switch. This requires the 1100W AC power supply in both the power supply slots. 1800W in POE budget makes sure that the 24-port models support full UPOE on all ports (24 x 60W/port = 1440W) and the 48-port models support up to 30 UPOE connections (30 x 60W/port = 1800W) per switch.

Table 8. Power Supply Requirements for PoE/PoE+ and UPOE models

[TD]POE/POE+[/TD]

[TD]24 Port PoE Switch[/TD]

[TD]48 Port PoE Switch[/TD]
[TD]PoE (15.4W per port)[/TD]

[TD]One C3KX-PWR-715WAC[/TD]

[TD]One C3KX-PWR-1100WAC
or
Two C3KX-PWR-715WAC[/TD]
[TD]PoE+ (30W per port)[/TD]

[TD]One C3KX-PWR-1100WAC
or
Two C3KX-PWR-715WAC[/TD]

[TD]Two C3KX-PWR-1100WAC
or
One C3KX-PWR-1100WAC and one C3KX-PWR-715WAC[/TD]
[TD]UPOE (60W per port)[/TD]

[TD]One C3KX-PWR-715WAC and one C3KX-PWR-1100WAC
or
Two C3KX-PWR-1100WAC[/TD]

[TD]One C3KX-PWR-715WAC and one C3KX-PWR-1100WAC
or
Two C3KX-PWR-1100WAC[/TD]

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That does sound like what it is. When I looked, my switch showed 9.9W without IR, 12.4W with IR, 14.9 with IR while panning. So you're right at the limit for 802.3af.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That does sound like what it is. When I looked, my switch showed 9.9W without IR, 12.4W with IR, 14.9 with IR while panning. So you're right at the limit for 802.3af.
Hmm....thanks for the comment. Right now when I'm running during daytime it seems to be ok. The lost connection did happen at night.

Maybe I'll try to turn off built in IR and use the external IR and see if it loose connection too.

Thanks

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll probably be OK without IR. That should keep you under the 15.4 limit of 802.3af. My measurement at 14.9 should be too but may not be exactly right and maybe some initial higher draw when starting movement, a little overhead, etc.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You'll probably be OK without IR. That should keep you under the 15.4 limit of 802.3af. My measurement at 14.9 should be too but may not be exactly right and maybe some initial higher draw when starting movement, a little overhead, etc.
Will give it a go.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of enterprise grade switches is everyone running?

I thought Cisco 3750 was better then my current Amazon YuanLey 11 Port Gigabit PoE Switch, 8 PoE+ Port 1000Mbps, 2 Gigabit Uplink, 1 SFP Port, 120W 802.3af/at

Boy was I wrong lol

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
It is a much better switch generally but sounds like that specific version isn't configured with 802.3at. The enterprise switches tend to be modular and they offer the same model in a lot of different configurations so can be a little confusing. Probably does draw more power and likely will be more noisy.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is a much better switch generally but sounds like that specific version isn't configured with 802.3at. The enterprise switches tend to be modular and they offer the same model in a lot of different configurations so can be a little confusing. Probably does draw more power and likely will be more noisy.
Is there a way to upgrade the Cisco switch to at by buying some parts and plugging it in?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a way to upgrade the Cisco switch to at by buying some parts and plugging it in?
LOL - it would be cheaper and safer to just buy the right one.

Even if the camera works on a non-POE+ switch, I wouldn't recommend it as you are still probably starving the camera for power, especially during startup or moving around, tracking, etc.

Unless you want to kill the PTZ so that you can upgrade to a more expensive one LOL.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably so given how they list the various power supplies. Maybe need a firmware change too. Whether it makes sense to do it or not moneywise... :idk:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with @wittaj. It would be best to get a 802.3at switch if you want to run 802.3at equipment.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or get a POE+ injector to power the PTZ. Probably cheaper than buying a whole new switch.

A TPLink or TrendNet can be found for under $25.

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I spoke to the network team at my place, they said that for me to use the 802.3at/15.4W power (POE+), the switch needs to have 2 power supply unit.

Currently my switch only have 1 lol.

Currently on ebay trying to hunt one down.

Example

Cisco C3KX-PWR-1100WAC

dubber

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
poe+ is 25.5W

why trying ? you can get a poe switch for cheap

Because I got the 3750X for free from work. So I'm trying to spend the least amount of $ possible to use the free switch :)

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Cisco 3560X running about 20 cams and 2 of them are PTZ...Hikvision OEM's ( Jidetech) { Jivetech} as our dearly departed friend used to call them....
Mine had a 715 Watt, and I wanted a failover Supply plugged in ready to go, So i ordered a 1100 watt PSU for the 48 Port, ( mine was a 24 Port)
and low and behold the high pitched whine of the 715 died down and the 1100 took over ( i think) Much quieter....in that config....
I reset the Switch to defaults when I got it ( googled it) and it's just running as a Layer2 ( dumb switch) no Mickey Mouse bullshit enabled,
I did notice however there like 3 or more Different power supplies for the switch depending on how many ports it has.
If somebody at the office threw in a low Watt PSU your power budget might be fuckaroo-ed....

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
is it a 24 or 48 port switch? if it's 48 I think it needs an 1100 watt PSU to offer full 802.3at support to all supported POE+ ports.
Look at the PSU on the back of the switch.....should tell you the wattage.