can i connect any ip camera direct to my pc

micsey

n3wb
Reaction score
currently run a LOGITECH Pro C920 from my laptop looking over my drive and its quite good,but been looking at these 3mp ip cams and love the clear picture,what i am saying can i just plug this into my pc and record? i dont want to remote view or any of that stuff,cheers guys

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
currently run a LOGITECH Pro C920 from my laptop looking over my drive and its quite good,but been looking at these 3mp ip cams and love the clear picture,what i am saying can i just plug this into my pc and record? i dont want to remote view or any of that stuff,cheers guys
You need to plug it into your network...you router or a switch on the network...most can be powered via poe switch so simply by a switch for 45 dollars and you can power 4 cameras.

micsey

n3wb
Reaction score
yes i no that but but i just want run one cam to my pc can it be done,i haven't got time for the ip address madness and using up all my internet,just want to run an ip cam to my laptop no routers or internet

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes i no that but but i just want run one cam to my pc can it be done,i haven't got time for the ip address madness and using up all my internet,just want to run an ip cam to my laptop no routers or internet
you might be able to if you laptop is connected wifi and you use the ethernet connection..problem is it will be MUCH MORE complex and you will still need to deal with "ip address madness"...its not plug and play like USB...its not complicated at all..complete armatures have dont it here. Dont be afraid to learn something new.

micsey

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks bud suppose what i real mean is would it use a lot of internet,with my webcam its on screen all the time so i can look at it,if i had one 3mp ip cam on all the time would it cost alot,cheers

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks bud suppose what i real mean is would it use a lot of internet,with my webcam its on screen all the time so i can look at it,if i had one 3mp ip cam on all the time would it cost alot,cheers
I think you are misunderstanding how ip cameras work. If they are connected to your network and you are viewing them on a pc in your network as you intend to do, they do not use ANY bandwidth with respect to you internet provider...its all internal and only passes through your local network.

micsey

n3wb
Reaction score
that's whats been putting me off how soft am i,just spoke to my brother and i have no slots left on my router so can i use a wifi onei,its the ip address thing that i wont be able to set up

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
that's whats been putting me off how soft am i,just spoke to my brother and i have no slots left on my router so can i use a wifi onei,its the ip address thing that i wont be able to set up
Dont use wifi you are asking for even more problems...all you need is a 45 dollar POE switch. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1438531589&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+switch
You will now have a bunch of extra ports and a method to power your cameras via POE.
OR a 10 dollar switch and power your cameras via power adapter (most poe cameras do not come with an adapter, so you are better off with a POE switch, nice and clean. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1005D-5-port-100Mbps-Desktop/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438531657&sr=1-1&keywords=switch

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

micsey

n3wb
Reaction score
ok will go with poe switch,ive got three computer in the house would we all be able to view the ip cam on them at the same time?

micsey

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks bud one more thing wil i need software to record footage or will this come with the ip cam

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks bud one more thing wil i need software to record footage or will this come with the ip cam
Most cameras come with software..some are better than others...what camera are you looking at?

micsey

n3wb
Reaction score
don't no yet as i never thought i would be able to to have one,any suggestions oh buy the way i am in the uk,cheers

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
don't no yet as i never thought i would be able to to have one,any suggestions oh buy the way i am in the uk,cheers
look at hikvision or dahua cameras...there are lots of threads on here about them.

micsey

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for all your help will look them up and let you no how i got on

Reaction score
1. ip camera must be connect with router. if you do not want to connect with any router but just local recording, you can try AHD camera. now the max resolution have 720p and 1080p, conenct with a ahd dvr. plug and plug to record. easy for installation.

2. if for a ip solution, wireless p2p camera would be good also. for example, a indoor p2p camera. just make a setting of wifi over mobile and the insert a sd card into camera, then, it would be record into the sd card and review over mobile or pc.