Can I damage the cam with short-circuit? (pictured with 12v UPS connection)

Cossie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I bought this 5v-6v-9v-12v selectable DC adapter with 6000Mah Li-polymer backup battery:
IMG_20161117_112509744.jpg

I tried to connect it this way:
IMG_20161117_143754378.jpg

The cam is not working, even when I connect the cables to it's old adapter.
IMG_20161117_145104624.jpg

I'm going to buy this:
jack.jpg

But I touched the (+) and (-) wires each other multiple times. Is it damaged?

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Before you made your new cable did you check you had the correct polarity with your + & -?
Apart from that if the camera worked correctly with the original cable and now since you've made a suspect new cable, and it no longer works with the original adaptor it doesn't sound good.
How are you with electronics? Do you know what diodes are?

Cossie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Before you made your new cable did you check you had the correct polarity with your + & -?
Apart from that if the camera worked correctly with the original cable and now since you've made a suspect new cable, and it no longer works with the original adaptor it doesn't sound good.
How are you with electronics? Do you know what diodes are?
I know electronics a little from school lessons. Things like V=IR, P=IV, V(ac) has sin(w)t curve, V(DC) is straight, V is same at paralel, I is same at serial, 0.3volts for germanium diodes, 0.7 volts for silisium diodes, they are semiconductors because they have 4 electrons on the valence orbital, they have saturation area-working area and the distortion area on the graph, etc. But I did not succeed at any electronic lecture. That's why I did not finished the school also :(

I still want to beleive it's not working with old adapter because it's not touching well like as it used to be(I cutted the cable, you know). I hope the jack I've ordered will solve the problem :(

Otherwise, is it still can be OK with repair?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But I touched the (+) and (-) wires each other multiple times. Is it damaged?
Was the nano UPS powered off while you did this?
Even if not - I doubt that shorting the output from the UPS would harm the camera.
But @cyberwolf_uk question is very valid - are you 100% sure that you have the polarity of the wiring correct? Did the UPS manual / guide confirm that the output is centre positive? Assuming the red wire is intended to be positive?
Impressive recollection of semiconductor basics. You must have had distractions not to finish ...

Cossie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Was the nano UPS powered off while you did this?
Even if not - I doubt that shorting the output from the UPS would harm the camera.
But @cyberwolf_uk question is very valid - are you 100% sure that you have the polarity of the wiring correct? Did the UPS manual / guide confirm that the output is centre positive? Assuming the red wire is intended to be positive?
Impressive recollection of semiconductor basics. You must have had distractions not to finish ...
No it wasn't. I also touched them each other with the old adapter which has no on/off switch. I could not see IR leds because when I take my head out of the window, I was not able to push the cables for better contact. Now I setted a camera for it and when I pushed the cables each other with my fingers, I saw the IR LEDs. Thank god! The cam is not broken! :)

Screenshot_20161117-195426.png

It's very idiot-proof. I like it :)

Cossie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So it's on the business again :) But, HiDDNS setup is not working after this. I setted up everything again. hik-online says the device is offline :(