Can I record in high quality, and view in low quality ?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a quick query I'm hoping someone can help with please. I have a Hikvision setup with 8 cams and a DS-7208HGHI-SH DVR. The firmware is upto date

The cameras are great and do just what we need, but we do have a small problem. We stream 4 of the cameras 24/7 on a Samsung tablet at home, but the stream is quite jerky. Also, when I view the camera on my laptop from an external location which doesn't have superfast Broadband, that too is jerky and freezes (although when at home on my laptop on superfast it's fine).

We have the camera quality rates set very high (1280x720, Variable bitrate type, Highest video quality, Full Frame Rate, 2000 max bitrate) and I'm guessing this is the problem. I tried lowering the quality, but of course this affected the quality of the recordings (which I don't want to do).

What I would like to do, is record at the highest rates possible, but view live on a lesser-rate. I'm mildly aware of main-stream and sub-stream options, but none of the software I use seem to allow me to select sub-stream as the viewing option (it actually doesn't seem give me an option at all and I guess just uses the default).

The software on the samsung tablet we have in the house is IVMS 4500 and also tinycam (which works better than IVMS which kept freezing in the middle of the night). My laptop runs IVMS 4200.

Does anybody have any ideas on this ?

thanks in anticipation.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
chances are its already pulling the substream; most mobile/tablet apps default to it and if you want the main stream you have to work to get it.. tinyCam for example defaults to my substreams and takes some effort to configure the main stream for it.. im pretty sure IVMS for mobile's default to substreams too.

if the stream is jerky, its likely your Samsung tablet simply cant provide the level of performance you need; especially over WiFi

Reaction score
Thanks. I did think that, but I'm sure tinycam is using the mainstream, because when I change substream settings, the picture doesn't change. But it does when I change main-stream.

However I've just tried IVMS 4500 again (which I stopped using because it kept freezing and some of the camera would often run 10-60 seconds behind), and I've set it at 'Custom' level and reduced the settings down, so I'll see how that goes. I had tried this before, but even though I'd selected 'Custom' it still showed 'Fluent' as selected so I thought it wasn't letting me select it. But it looks like it is.

alexvas

tinyCam Developer
Reaction score
tinyCam uses main stream by default. Sub stream is used when "Low-bandwidth profile" enabled in app drawer (left slide menu in live view).

For some cameras changing Channel in Camera Settings - Advanced in the app also changes stream number to be used.

Reaction score
tinyCam uses main stream by default. Sub stream is used when "Low-bandwidth profile" enabled in app drawer (left slide menu in live view).

For some cameras changing Channel in Camera Settings - Advanced in the app also changes stream number to be used.
Thanks - I'll try this.

Reaction score
alexvas - that worked, thanks so much. The IVMS started to freeze/delay again, so I flicked back to tinycam and selected the 'Low-bandwidth profile' and this is now working just as I need it. Thanks again

LaurentR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
iVMS-4500 does this by default. If you look at the bottom of the the image for a stream it says "XXX (Fluent)". That means it's pulling the low-res stream. If you want to change that, click on the rectangular icon that looks like a dirty window and you'll be given the option between Fluent (low-res stream), Clear (hi-res stream) or Custom (pick your own parameters).

iVMS-4200 on Windows does the same think automatically. If you're looking as a mosaic, it pulls the low-res stream. If you're full screen on one camera, it pulls the hi-res stream. You can actually see the transition between the 2. It does it pretty well.