Can I use a POE switch to power the cameras, but also my PCs?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those! That 12V connector is going to come in handy. Being known as Mr. Overkill I'll probably put a 40mm in that spot on intake and an 80mm on the top for exhaust. I'll probably add additional holes to the bottom or back to get more air in. Some foam filter, cut to size, will keep the dust build-up down to a minimum. In may not be "pretty, but it'll work.

In the one shot I see a fairly hefty heat sink and assume that's the main power regulator/supply. Where is that in relation to the OEM fan cut out?

Never mind! Went back and looked at the first photo and it's directly in front of that cut out. Actually, just a 40mm on intake a a few vent holes on top should do the trick.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A side question, I'm buying a 59225U PTZ, it should work directly with it, without power supply, right?
I will have that switch in the garage(in LA), and I'm worried how it will work, when the temperature is around 110-120F.
You should be good from 32 to 131.

BV Specs.JPG

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I know, but sometimes the temperature is borderline. I just want to prolong it's life. I fix electronic as a hobby and in my experience, heat kills most of the electronics. Thanks anyways.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You definitely don't want to put a Ubiquiti 8-150 out there, I have 2 and they run normally at around 75C. LOL

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know, but sometimes the temperature is borderline. I just want to prolong it's life. I fix electronic as a hobby and in my experience, heat kills most of the electronics. Thanks anyways.
Dunno the rated temp range, but around here it's not too uncommon to find an older Cisco PoE switch, fan and all, for pennies on the dollar.

For one example I bought a 24-port 2960-S PoE+ for $10. In a much bigger market like yours I'd think similar deals would be around.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
You have bought it from where, Craigslist? In the stores are much more, than $10.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, CL.

Well, more like yes and no. I saw an ad on CL for a computer repair place that was selling a bunch of reconditioned Dell Optiplex, et al, computers so I went to check out what they had for used computers. Like to use for a BI machine. While there I spotted a small stack of various Cisco PoE switches. I asked how much. When he said the price $10 each I bought an assortment of three. There were two Cisco 48-port POE+ for $10 each too but I did not buy those. Probably should have offered $35 or $40 for all five, LOL.

Last edited:

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
You got lucky.
Once in awhile, you get lucky.
A while ago, I have found a super deal, with some new Klipsch CDT-3800 II speakers. 5 speakers for $200(!). Only the boxes were missing.