Can not get web server to work when accessing over WAN

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can not seem to get my web server setup to access Blue Iris over the internet. I can access it via a web browser over the LAN but not WAN. I have forwarded port 90 to the computer that Blue Iris is running on and made all the correct settings in the Blue Iris software. I have been getting the error "trouble retrieving address from checkip.dyndns.org when I click the "check address now" button.

My setup:
Windstream (ISP) Modem > Asus RT-N66R router > ZyEXL switch > Windows 7 computer running Blue Iris.
Port 90 is forwarded to the IP address of the computer running Blue Iris

One odd thing, when I visit whatismyip.com it gives me on IP 69.66.xx.xx. But on my router it lists my WAN IP as 192.168.XXX.X. So, which is my external IP?

Attached are some screenshots.

Any idea how to fix this?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@bphillips What is the exact model of your modem?..if it has a built in router you need to put the modem into bridge mode.
The wan ip address is the one that begins with 69. you dont have to blue the address that begin with 192.168 because those are all local internal address.

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The modem is a GigaSet WindStream 4300 DSL. It appears to be just a modem and not a router.

The 192.168.xxx.x WAN IP that shows on my router looks internal, but on my other exact same router on a different network that spot shows my external IP. Unless....that is pulling an IP that the modem is sending it. The modem is not in bridge mode. Does it need to be?

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I assume I will need the PPPoE info from the ISP to plug in the router, correct? I ask because the farm where I have this set-up is about 60 miles away and I've been remoting in to troubleshoot. I don't want to bridge the modem, kill the internet, and then have to drive 60 miles to put in a PPPoE password.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume I will need the PPPoE info from the ISP to plug in the router, correct? I ask because the farm where I have this set-up is about 60 miles away and I've been remoting in to troubleshoot. I don't want to bridge the modem, kill the internet, and then have to drive 60 miles to put in a PPPoE password.
yes you may...havent messed with DSL in a few years...
You might want to also simply try a high port like 8484 and see if that helps..test the port with canyouseeme.org

bphillips

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had tried 8081 at one point, no luck there either. I guess I'll be bridging the modem when I get out there again.

Thanks!