Can Only See Camera Through LAN

Reaction score
Hi, I have read for many many hours trying to fix my issue and notice there are nice people here that have helped many others.

My situation is this,

I have two D-Link wireless IP cameras set up through Synology SS that were simple to set up and run. I just upgraded to a Hikvision DS-2CD2142 that I replaced one of them with using POE for the first time with a POE Injector (75' run). I used SADP to activate the camera and can see it on my PC using the Hikvision 4200 Client and connecting directly to the camera's IP using IE and can see it through the Hikvision 4500 mobile app. So far so good right? Well that's were it ends, I cannot get my Synology SS to detect the camera (says to check Host name, ip, port number) and I cannot connect to the camera using Hikvision app away from my LAN. I have spent, and don't laugh at this, about 15 hours or more trying to figure it out, something tells me someone in the know could set this up in 5 mins.

I just set the camera back to all default settings and tried again to no avail.

- I notice that the app is using port 8000, I bet this has something to do with only seeing it in my LAN, tried port 80 then I cannot see video LAN or WAN,

- I have set the parameters ( i think) the same as my D-Links in my Synology SS accept for the IP address of the camera.

I don't have a problem taking the camera off of the Synology SS and using Hikvision's own recording system if I have to.

I should mention that I have assigned a static IP to the camera (just used the one the router assigned) and my setup is Cogeco cable internet into the house to my modem, then line out of modem to my router (Linksys EA6400), with cat6 from camera into POE injector then out of injector to router.

Can anyone help me? I don't want to call a guy unless I have to. :)

Last edited:

Kroegtijgertje

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The easiest way (not the safest) is port forwarding the ports your Hikvision uses. Port forwarding is done in your router. (If you don't know what I'm talking about: Google is your friend)
After your ports are correctly forwarded you can go to What Is My IP Address? IP Address Tools and More to find what's your external IP adres.

Now, instead of using your local IP-adres 192.168.x.x (or something like that) you can access your cam with the external IP adres.

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IP Camera - Compatibility | Synology Inc.

the mobile app only requires port 8000, if you wish to connect via the web app you would also need 80 & 554.

using port redirection on the router forward port 8081 to port 80 or (443 if you wish to use https https://<public ip>:8081) you can then access the web interface of the camera via http://<public ip>:8081
then open port 554 this will allow video from the web browser

for the mobile app just forward 8000 to the ip address of the camera and configure the app with your public ip.

HTTP Port 80
RTSP Port 554
HTTPS Port 443
Server Port 8000

for security i would strongly advise on using a VPN to access your home/buiness network.

hope it helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi copex, thanks for your time, and all the way from England. :)

If the mobile app requires port 8000, is this a Hikvision thing as my D-Link cameras use port 80? I have port 8000 set in the settings of the app and it does not work off of wifi but works on wifi. I just forwarded 8081 to 80. I should have mentioned that I have all ports forwarded to the ip address of the camera, but if I go online and use a port checker they always say the ports are closed (using the ip I get when I search "what's my ip"). Doing more reading and found maybe my Cogeco cable modem is probably acting like a router before my Linksys router that may be screwing things up. Can this be true?

You say configure the app with my public ip, is my public ip the ip I get when I search "what's my ip" online?, never used that before, I always had to use the ip that my router assigned to it and that I made static.

John

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You are describing 2 problems.
I cannot get my Synology SS to detect the camera (says to check Host name, ip, port number
Is the camera in the SS IP camera Compatibility List?
if I go online and use a port checker they always say the ports are closed
I'm tempted to say that's just as well.
What you are attempting is fraught with security risk.
Simply opening multiple ports as you have tried to the world wild internet is offering an invitation to the bad guys and their bots to compromise your network and use it for malicious purposes.
Please do some research and gain some understanding of the topic of Google before progressing further.

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi,

if your cable modem is acting as a router this may cause an issue with double NAT, your cable to linksys modem should have been setup in bridge mode. ( Google the cable router make and model along with using my own router)
i would need allot more information to workout how you network is setup so below is my best guess...........

to connect to the hikvision camera using Internet explorer you need port 80 and 554 forwarded to the camera, as routers use port 80 to access the routers settings or you have more than one camera this would cause confusion so the way around this is to use port redirection (see link below)

Cam 1. <public ip> external port 8081 to internal port 80 local ip 192.168.x.x1
Cam 2. <public ip>external port 8082 to internal port 80 Local ip 192.168.x.x2

Internet explorer
Cam 1. http://<public ip>:8081
cam 2. http://<public ip>:8082

hikvisions mobile app ivms-4500 is only for cameras using the Hikvision protocol this only requires one port to be open to access the camera 8000 in default

port forwarding in the router

Cam 1. external port 8000 to internal port 8000
Cam 2. external port 8001 to internal port 8000

in the app go to

menu / devices / + / manual add

Alias - anything
Register mode - IP/Domain ( this is the public address )
Port 8000 ( camera 2 would be 8001)
User Name - <same as web page login>
Password - <same as web page login>
click save and camera no. should go to 1

disconnect from wifi connect to 3g/4g and test ( some routers will not allow loop back requests)

port redirection - Linksys Official Support - Setting up Single Port Forwarding on Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers and Linksys Wi-Fi Routers using the Classic firmware
public ip - check the Advance section IP Chicken - What is my IP address? Free public IP lookup.
double NAT ref Double NAT - What it is and how to resolve it

Local ip address ranges are

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

hope it helps

Again i still recommend using a VPN for security this will connect as if you are sill at home and no need for port forwarding, there are a number of good posts on VPNs available on this forum

S.

Reaction score
The easiest way (not the safest) is port forwarding the ports your Hikvision uses. Port forwarding is done in your router. (If you don't know what I'm talking about: Google is your friend)
After your ports are correctly forwarded you can go to What Is My IP Address? IP Address Tools and More to find what's your external IP adres.

Now, instead of using your local IP-adres 192.168.x.x (or something like that) you can access your cam with the external IP adres.
Sorry Kroegtijgertje, I must have missed your post, thanks for it but it still did not work, probably due to the extra info I added about my modem.

Reaction score
You are describing 2 problems.

Is the camera in the SS IP camera Compatibility List?

I'm tempted to say that's just as well.
What you are attempting is fraught with security risk.
Simply opening multiple ports as you have tried to the world wild internet is offering an invitation to the bad guys and their bots to compromise your network and use it for malicious purposes.
Please do some research and gain some understanding of the topic of Google before progressing further.
Hi alastairstevenson, I confirm that the camera is SS compatible, I understand your concerns but would like to get my system view-able before I start working on shutting the door to malicious attacks.

Reaction score
hi,

if your cable modem is acting as a router this may cause an issue with double NAT, your cable to linksys modem should have been setup in bridge mode. ( Google the cable router make and model along with using my own router)
i would need allot more information to workout how you network is setup so below is my best guess...........

to connect to the hikvision camera using Internet explorer you need port 80 and 554 forwarded to the camera, as routers use port 80 to access the routers settings or you have more than one camera this would cause confusion so the way around this is to use port redirection (see link below)

Cam 1. <public ip> external port 8081 to internal port 80 local ip 192.168.x.x1
Cam 2. <public ip>external port 8082 to internal port 80 Local ip 192.168.x.x2

Internet explorer
Cam 1. http://<public ip>:8081
cam 2. http://<public ip>:8082

hikvisions mobile app ivms-4500 is only for cameras using the Hikvision protocol this only requires one port to be open to access the camera 8000 in default

port forwarding in the router

Cam 1. external port 8000 to internal port 8000
Cam 2. external port 8001 to internal port 8000

in the app go to

menu / devices / + / manual add

Alias - anything
Register mode - IP/Domain ( this is the public address )
Port 8000 ( camera 2 would be 8001)
User Name - <same as web page login>
Password - <same as web page login>
click save and camera no. should go to 1

disconnect from wifi connect to 3g/4g and test ( some routers will not allow loop back requests)

port redirection - Linksys Official Support - Setting up Single Port Forwarding on Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Routers and Linksys Wi-Fi Routers using the Classic firmware
public ip - check the Advance section IP Chicken - What is my IP address? Free public IP lookup.
double NAT ref Double NAT - What it is and how to resolve it

Local ip address ranges are

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

hope it helps

Again i still recommend using a VPN for security this will connect as if you are sill at home and no need for port forwarding, there are a number of good posts on VPNs available on this forum

S.
Hi again copex, thanks again for all your time, to simplify things I disabled my other camera (D-Link) until I can see my Hikvision remotely. To simplify things further I just want to be able to see video feed on my mobile app. I have done everything, port 8000 is forwarded to 8000 (both protocols), actually all ports needed are forwarded to the camera's IP, Register mode is IP/Domain, user name and password are set but when I try to access from LTE there is still no connection. I guess the next step is finding out my password from my provider for my modem and get it in bridged mode.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you haven't done this already - you can verify the results of your port-forwarding configuration by using one of a number of outside-in scanning services, such as ShieldsUp! GRC | ShieldsUP! — Internet Vulnerability Profiling  
Pick the options that cover all the ports of interest, maybe initially 'All service ports' then a range covering the 'command and control' port 8000.

Reaction score
If you haven't done this already - you can verify the results of your port-forwarding configuration by using one of a number of outside-in scanning services, such as ShieldsUp! GRC | ShieldsUP! — Internet Vulnerability Profiling
Pick the options that cover all the ports of interest, maybe initially 'All service ports' then a range covering the 'command and control' port 8000.
Shields up detected no vulnerabilities, and all ports show "stealth" status. Thanks for this.

Reaction score
So that confirms that the port forwarding is not working as desired.
But I suppose you knew that!
An easy way to check it, though.
Holy crap, just called tech support for my internet and asked about the modem creating issues if I have my own router also and asked if I could set it to bridged mode and they said I could not because my Tivo television would not work then. :) I am going to take my personal router out of the loop and start over and see how things go. Bloody Hell.....getting closer though :)

Reaction score
Holy crap, just called tech support for my internet and asked about the modem creating issues if I have my own router also and asked if I could set it to bridged mode and they said I could not because my Tivo television would not work then. :) I am going to take my personal router out of the loop and start over and see how things go. Bloody Hell.....getting closer though :)
Just a thought here, looks like I can set up my personal router to bridge mode, maybe I should do that? The reason I am using it is the wifi on the cable modem sucks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The reason I am using it is the wifi on the cable modem sucks.
To use it as a WiFi access point you don't need to have it operate as a router, nor be wired as a router, run in parallel not serial.
Just wire one of its ethernet ports to your LAN (an ethernet port on the cable modem if it has more than one), disable the DHCP server and set the router mode to AP. If it can't run just as an AP, no matter, if there is nothing plugged in the WAN port.

Reaction score
To use it as a WiFi access point you don't need to have it operate as a router, nor be wired as a router, run in parallel not serial.
Just wire one of its ethernet ports to your LAN (an ethernet port on the cable modem if it has more than one), disable the DHCP server and set the router mode to AP. If it can't run just as an AP, no matter, if there is nothing plugged in the WAN port.
Still looking into this, thanks, I don't see a setting for Access Point

Reaction score
you may find additional modem help here (aslong as it the same isp :) ) Cogeco forum | DSLReports, ISP Information
Ha, been a member there for years, just posted to see if anyone else with my same equipment has a solution. Thanks

I should note that, now that I have tried plugging the camera into the Cable Modem, SADP doesn't see it anymore, bloody cable modem.

Reaction score
SUCCESS, once I bridged my Cable Modem I could see the camera through their mobile app away from LAN, still could not detect it through my Synology NAS though, did even more reading and one person said that the Synology always reverted back to the username and password of the NAS when trying to activate a camera, I popped in the camera's username and password and presto. Thanks guys for all your time and assistance.