Can someone post a screen shot or video of a bad low light camera?

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did anyone buy a bad low light camera (any brand), and have a screen shot or video?

I just had the HDW5231R-ZE installed.

I had read and seen videos of it.

I just want to compare with something bad, in low light, so I can see the difference.

Thanks.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
backyard.JPG

This is a 2MP, SV3C camera at night. Keep in mind there is a 30 watt IR floodlight, calling it a floodlight because it's as big as one, in front of an about six feet below the camera. Note the fuzzy focus as distance increases as well. I have a number of Dahua, 2MP, Starlights and run most of them with their IR shut off and no to little auxiliary IR. The focus on them is sharp for the full frame.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I posted this awhile back. I wouldn't call the 4mp Hikvision bad, I've seen much, much worse, but I was comparing it to a 5231 I had just installed. The Hikvision is very good daytime but can't compare to the 2mp Dahua at night.
Short comparison of 4MP Hikvision & 2MP Dahua
Great video. This is what I was looking for.

The grass doesn't look very clear on the Hikivision. And the cat doesn't look very well defined. I can't make out even the outline of the cat very well.

On the 5231, the body definition of the cat is clear, and I can see the blades of grass on the lawn.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
View attachment 33411

This is a 2MP, SV3C camera at night. Keep in mind there is a 30 watt IR floodlight, calling it a floodlight because it's as big as one, in front of an about six feet below the camera. Note the fuzzy focus as distance increases as well. I have a number of Dahua, 2MP, Starlights and run most of them with their IR shut off and no to little auxiliary IR. The focus on them is sharp for the full frame.
So would the grass, and those tiny building things on the left, look better with the Dahua?

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
BY-W.JPG

Different angle, same area, from a Dahua 4231EM-ASE. Note the good, consistent, focus through the full field of view and far more visible as distance increases. By the way, that's not grass, more like a collection of mowed weeds.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have mowed weeds too. :)

Yes, I can see that even in the distance near where the car is, each blade of the mowed weeds is still visible.

On the SWC, it looks like mushy oatmeal.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
@nuraman00 The names of the camera models are all shown on the image. We have hundreds of different models of cameras but I am not sure of your question. Please clarify.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nuraman00 The names of the camera models are all shown on the image. We have hundreds of different models of cameras but I am not sure of your question. Please clarify.
My question was which of those shown in the comparison chart do you have?

Or are you an installer or store?

I thought you were an end user.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have a comparison of the Axis Q3517 vs. Dahua 5231R-ZE? For center vs. edge lit IR illumination.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
We have tested the Q3517 (member's only report). It tested extremely well across the board.

We have not tested that Dahua model but it's a ~$100 so it is very unlikely going to be similar in low light or WDR but at 1/10th price it's meant for a different use case. The Axis Q3517 is overkill unless it's a high end application.