Can somone expand on "Hardware acceleration" and the requirements.

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was reading a few threads about Blue Iris's "Hardware acceleration", I am assuming this has something to do with Intel's "Quick Sync"? Can someone please break these processes down to where I can understand them and apply them?

I can list specs of my system tomorrow, but I have an adequate CPU for Intel's "Quick Sync". Do I need a GPU?

<3

~Mr.Ecncrypit

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
current NVR specs......

Intel Core i-7 2600 @ 3.4 ghz
8GB ddr3
2 TB HDD (specs not listed)
(I also added a high pressure 4 inch fan to the outside of the case:)
^This was a factory refurb,I only paid ~$250 for the unit, and it seems to be efficient as it is only managing 5 cameras ATM.

Cameras include: 5x Amcrest IP2M-841 Pro HD capturing 720p@25fps

All cameras are running constant recording, and Motion detection at the same time, making 10 total capture devices. With the Motion detection clips being uploading directly to a Google Drive and the constant records being stored on the local device.

I will be setting up a much larger operation in the future in which I intend to build a "BEASTLY" pc consisting of atleast a 6700k i-7, multiple 2 tb WD purples, Noctua heat sync, and a custom case. But untill then I need to increase my understanding of Blue Iris itself, starting with hardware acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
quicksync in included in most second gen processors and up. You dont want to use a card. U should be using intel hd.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
quicksync in included in most second gen processors and up. You dont want to use a card. U should be using intel hd.
To expand on Professor Fenderman's post: Intel HD on-board video, not an external graphics card.

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

So this would be using the dedicated graphic processing cores from the CPU (APU/>2nd gen processors) to convert file formats, is it specific in what capture mode the camera is set to (i.e. constant recording/motion detection)?

miffmole

n3wb
Reaction score
My PC has Intel HD graphics and an i7 6700T 6th Generation Skylake processor. When I try to do the hardware acceleration, I lose camera connection totally. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My PC has Intel HD graphics and an i7 6700T 6th Generation Skylake processor. When I try to do the hardware acceleration, I lose camera connection totally. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?
Are you using Windows 7 and running as a service?

ItechashardasIcanbro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I recently switched to windows 10 as well, still having issues.
I am running 5x Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD. Do I have to setup Quick sync on my NVR?

miffmole

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, everything works! I did the driver update and hardware acceleration and everything connects.
On playback, however, I am now getting a green and purple line across the entire bottom of the screen. Wonder what that is?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, everything works! I did the driver update and hardware acceleration and everything connects.
On playback, however, I am now getting a green and purple line across the entire bottom of the screen. Wonder what that is?
Try matching your iFrame rate to your Frame rate. For example, if your Frame rate is 10 set your iFrame rate at 10.

miffmole

n3wb
Reaction score
Try matching your iFrame rate to your Frame rate. For example, if your Frame rate is 10 set your iFrame rate at 10.
I did, but I'm still getting the green/purple line across the bottom of playbacks. It's no huge deal, but I'd rather not have it. Has anyone else had this happen?
Screenshot_2016-07-31-08-51-58_resized_1.PNG

miffmole

n3wb
Reaction score
No change when I did that, but that's OK. I'll figure it out.

(Note: I turned off the hardware acceleration, and the green/purple line went away. I wasn't seeing any noticeable CPU improvement with it turned on anyway.)

Last edited by a moderator: