Can The Network Handle the Load?

Reaction score
Need your expert opinions.

See attached diagram.

I am considering placing three 2MP cameras on a single PoE switch that is fed by a single Cat5E line from another switch (16 port PoE+).

I am concerned in two ways:
1) Will the single Cat5E line feeding the three cameras circled in red on the diagram handle the load?
2) Will the single Cat5E line feeding my BI computer handle the load of at least nine 2MP cameras?

Any words of wisdom as far as BI and camera settings? Like turn off sub-steams?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Bob

[IP Cam Network.JPG

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Need your expert opinions.

See attached diagram.

I am considering placing three 2MP cameras on a single PoE switch that is fed by a single Cat5E line from another switch (16 port PoE+).

I am concerned in two ways:
1) Will the single Cat5E line feeding the three cameras circled in red on the diagram handle the load?
2) Will the single Cat5E line feeding my BI computer handle the load of at least nine 2MP cameras?

Any words of wisdom as far as BI and camera settings? Like turn off sub-steams?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Bob

View attachment 36183
no problem at all, that connection wont even be breaking a sweat, its a gigabit switch. You can also remove the video card, its wasting power.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks FM for the insight. I put the video card in to drop the CPU down from 85% to 15% when I am using the UI3.
you have something set really wrong if your system is at 85% with 9 1080p cameras (your diagram says 4mp, but either way, its way to high of a load with your processor). See the wiki on optimizing blue iris.