Can you configure a Hikvision NVR to record motion detection using a Lilin camera?

Robster

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Hikvision 7608 NVR which I'm trying to couple with a Lilin LR7022 IP camera.

After many trials and tribulations I have managed to get them talking to each other and have even managed to get it to record continuously. If you knew how much of a tech muppet I am you'll realise how monumental an achievement that is.

However, for the life of me I cannot get it to record using motion detection. All I want the recorder to do is record when there is movement on the screen, not continuously.

The menu in the recorder states the facility is not available with this camera, although I know the Lilin is capable of it.

I have been been into the camera's own setup menu and configured motion detection zones & privacy masks, but still to no avail. (Although the privacy masks do display when viewed through the NVR.)

Can anyone either tell me where I'm going wrong, or confirm that the two are incompatible for motion detection.

Either way, please put me out of my misery.

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Robster

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Can you configure a Hikvision NVR to record motion detection using a Lilin camera

Well done - so far!
Some questions:
I have managed to get them talking to each other
By what method?
If RTSP, then that does not support motion detection, just continuous.
If ONVIF, then whether it supports motion detection depends on whether the camera generates the required ONVIF 'push/pull subscription notifications'. Not all do this.
I know without looking that even such an expensive camera won't cover that in the documentation, however there is an easy way to find out.

Download and install the very good open-source Windows tool 'ONVIF Device Manager' from sourceforge.net
When you give it some valid logon credentials, it will automatically find your camera, if it's on the LAN, ie not on an NVR PoE port.
The 'Events' page will show what ONVIF events the camera is generating.
Create some motion and see what happens.

If you have the camera connected as RTSP, not ONVIF, then to connect as ONVIF (especially if you find motion events are generated) you will need to know the 'ONVIF port' to use for the Port value in the NVR camera configuration.
In ONVIF Device Manager, the ONVIF port can be seen in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page.
If no specific port shows there - the port=80, otherwise it's the number after the colon in the IP address.

I hope that makes sense.
Good luck!

Robster

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Can you configure a Hikvision NVR to record motion detection using a Lilin camera

Hi Alastair,

Thanks very much much for the info, it's much appreciated.

Although I understood perhaps 20% of what you said I had a try anyway.

The two are are connected by ONVIF.

I downloaded the device manager you recommended. It is using port 8000, if that makes sense.
It is the same one that is already configured in the NVR.

When there is movement in the motion detector zone I have setup within the camera their is a little 'M' caption displayed on screen.

However, the NVR records only in continuous mode and will not respond to the motion in the detection zone.

On in the events page in the ONVIF device manager it just says 'Error during events subscription - the remote server returned an unexpected response (400) bad request.'

I am currently configuring the camera plugged directly into a laptop using a crossover network lead, and then testing by plugging into the NVR using a normal lead and PoE.

Sorry about sounding as dumb as a pile of logs, but that's how this system makes me feel.

...I used to think I was relatively au fait with technology before I embarked on this 'simple' task!

Thanks again for your patience.

Regards,

Rob

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

I am currently configuring the camera plugged directly into a laptop using a crossover network lead, and then testing by plugging into the NVR using a normal lead and PoE.
You don't need to do this - and it can lead to a very confusing state for the IP addresses.
As you are not using a PoE port on the NVR - just plug the laptop, camera, NVR into your LAN switch or router in the usual way.

On ONVIF Device Manager -
I downloaded the device manager you recommended. It is using port 8000, if that makes sense.
Is that what ODM is showing as the HTTP port on the Network page?
*edit* Or what's showing in the URL at the bottom of the Identification page?
When there is movement in the motion detector zone I have setup within the camera their is a little 'M' caption displayed on screen.
Are you seeing this in the ODM 'Live Video' page?
On in the events page in the ONVIF device manager it just says 'Error during events subscription - the remote server returned an unexpected response (400) bad request.'
Have you definitely given ODM some valid logon credentials at the 'Logon' fields at the top left?
If not, fill them in, refresh or restart ODM and re-try the Events page.
But on the face of it - it looks like the camera may not be providing events notifications under ONVIF.
Normally you'd see a running list of generated events.
Without those, the NVR will not be able to do motion detection recordings as the camera isn't informing it of any motion events.

Did ODM find the camera OK automatically.

Robster

n3wb
Reaction score

My plan was just to have a simple setup - NVR, cameras on PoE and a monitor - so I have no router or wireless access to it, hence the separate laptop & lead for the setup & diagnosis.

The network page in the ODM shows http port 8000, and the identification page shows :8000 after the IP address.

The little 'M' motion caption does show up on the live ODM page whenever it is triggered

The ODM did find the camera automatically and the camera details & video feed became accessible once I'd logged in with the camera's ID & password.

I have restarted the ODM many times to see if the events page would refresh but to no avail. I've clicked on every menus and jiggled with every setting except for the correct one.

My next plan is to perhaps drop kick the camera out of the window, closely followed by the NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

My plan was just to have a simple setup - NVR, cameras on PoE and a monitor - so I have no router or wireless access to it, hence the separate laptop & lead for the setup & diagnosis.
OK, I understand.
My next plan is to perhaps drop kick the camera out of the window, closely followed by the NVR.
What's wrong with the NVR? They are primarily aimed at supporting their own brand, and the NVR ONVIF support is fine, it will handle motion events over ONVIF with no problems.
There is support for a reasonable choice of 3rd party cameras - but not yours unfortunately.

As a last thing to check - see if the Lillin camera has a firmware update that may improve the slightly lacking ONVIF support.

Robster

n3wb
Reaction score

The beating the NVR is threatened with is purely collateral damage, as I'm cross with the setup as a whole.

I thought that that being a decent camera it'd be supported - my fault for assuming.

I have a hikvision ip camera in the post. The NVR has a stay of execution until it turns up.

Until then I'll spend the time reading up on IP cams and NVRs so I don't sound as much of a chimp next time I come on this forum asking for help (in about a fortnight if the delivery forecast is correct)

Thanks very much much for your help - I do appreciate it.

Regards,

Rob

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

Until then I'll spend the time reading up on IP cams and NVRs so I don't sound as much of a chimp next time I come on this forum asking for help
A good plan, and you didn't.
We all have to learn at some point, and the sharing on the forum helps fast-track that.

Robster

n3wb
Reaction score

So,

I now have a Hikvision DS-2CD2642FWD-IZS camera Firmware V5.4.1 build 160525
IP address 192.168.254.8
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default gateway 192.168.254.1
Port 8000
HTTP port 80
RTSP port 554

I also have a Hikvision DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A NVR
Firmware V3.0.10 build 141126

Internal NIC IPv4 address 192.168.254.254

IPv4 address 192.168.0.64
IPv4 Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Default gateway 192.168.0.1

(I wish I fully understood what I just typed)

with everything configured as above the NVR displays the camera details but no picture. When the yellow triangle is clicked it states 'Stream type not supported'

is it something I'm doing/not doing or is the NVR firmware out of date?

....or something?

still sounding like a chimp, I'm afraid.

All help welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Rob