Cannot connect remotely any more

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't have AVG to verify the settings you need to allow access, but that isn't going to be your problem right now. One step at a time. You have to first get the modem and router to allow port 8001 access through. Until you get a green light from canyouseeme you still have a problem with the modem and/or router.

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do I have the modem set up ok with the target IP set to the IP of the router 10.0.0.1?
I have the IP in the router set to the IP of the server machine, 10.0.0.9
Does this look ok?
I have the cat5e cable coming from a socket modem, (it has four) to the "Internet" socket on the router. It also has four "Ethernet" sockets.
I have cameras computers etc plugged into these. There are two switches on the system too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure your modem is in bridge mode? Best solution is to buy your own modem and stop paying your isp for it.

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Rupp,
Thanks for that info. Trouble is that in Ireland, UPC has disabled bridge mode on that Modem/router for some unknown reason. I hacked it into bridge mode. My router which is connected to it is working ok so I presume it is still in bridge mode but maybe not. This might be the problem. I will investigate that.

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Phoned Virgin Media.
Luckily got to speak with a very clued in lady.
I decided to upgrade from 240m to 360m service that comes with a newer router that is capable of bridging without a hack.
It has port forwarding too. Its €15 more per month but what price for a simple life..if it works..
Going to try the new router solo and maybe convert the Netgear to a switch or extender.
Thanks to everyone for your input. Charlie

charliehorse

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just as a followup. Got my new modem/router yesterday.
Into the interface and set it to Modem only. Great to have the option. Connected router and reboot.
Everything working again and 360m speed.
Glitch was in the old modem/router. I had it hacked into bridge mode so probably got corrupted in a reset or reboot.
Thanks again lads for your input.