Can't access camera's after factory reset

wisie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently moved into a new house that already has an Alhua NVR (NVR4108HS) and Alhua camera's installed. Unfortunately, the previous owners didn't provide any handover instructions.

I reset the NVR to factory settings today. While I can now access the NVR itself, the cameras are no longer connecting (see below). The recording history shows the cameras were functioning before the reset, suggesting the reset might be the cause of the issue.

My first thought was to reset the camera's to factory thinking it may be a password issue from the previous owners. I've requested a reset of the devices following this guide but was hoping to see whether people may have any other suggestions while I wait for Duhua support to respond?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 7.42.35 PM.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will probably find that Dahua will tell you to ask the installer...

You now need to factory reset each camera manually. Open up the SD card slot and press and hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds and wait for the camera to show up before doing the next one.

I would probably delete these off the NVR first and then start the process.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^
THIS

Likely the previous owner had chosen his own password before connecting the cameras. The cameras on first initialization on that type of NVR will adopt the NVR password. WHen you defaulted the NVR, it is using a default password (or a new one hopefully that you set on start up) and the cameras are still using the "old" password, thus the red dots and not able to communicate.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
According to the picture he shows, they are plugged into the NVR internal PoE ports, which is correct for that NVR

Camera # 1 was incorrectly manually added thus shows the wrong port (37777) for a camera using internal PoE ports. It should be unplugged, deleted from the bottom pane, plugged back in and allowed to add itself automatically

A little dated but still valid for a new user

wisie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply all. I ended up going down the path of climbing up and manually resetting.

Interestingly, 2/8 cameras are showing as port numbers rather than PoE ports. I'm able to access these cameras fine but should I reset them again?

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 11.15.24 AM.png

Lucky I did as Dahua support came back today asking for proof of purchase. Not ideal when you're not even sure who even installed the system.

All up and running now :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I told you Dahua would be of no use LOL - they do not deal with end users.

Glad you got it working.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The NVR is the overLord of the cams on a system like that for passwords and daylight saving time, and time sync.
it inserts the nvr user/pass credentials into the cameras if they are added in a default manner.

wisie

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR is the overLord of the cams on a system like that for passwords and daylight saving time, and time sync.
it inserts the nvr user/pass credentials into the cameras if they are added in a default manner.
Sorry so just to clarify, if it's showing as a port number (37777) rather than a physical port number (Port 1) then it will impact the NVR's ability to properly manage the device?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Possibly

37777 port is typically for cameras NOT using the NVR built in PoE ports. (On an external switch)
You will also see it with cameras on the internal switch which have been added manually. Try deleting them from the bottom pane, click away from that tab then back, wait and don’t manually force them . Hit refresh at bottom

If they don’t come back or come back with the 37777 port, you’ll need to manually reset them.

The trick with brand new or defaulted Dahua cameras on a Dahua NVR is to plug them in and let them negotiate the port and assume the NVR password. Manually adding them can create problems