Can't add hi-look ipc d121h m

djh_wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Hi, hoping someone can assist.

I have a fair few cameras, acquired over the years. Nothing particularly earth shattering, budget suits my needs.

Managed to get a hold of a few of these cams (above) but I'm having issues. I try to add using the standard 'search' for ip, and I can only get BI to load if I disable hardware accel. Otherwise the system just hangs.

Can anyone hopefully assist please? Thanks =)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what CPU are you using for BI ?
Provide a screen shot of the camera configuration from the camera, FPS, IFRAME, Bit rate.......

djh_wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll provide more info after I return from work in a couple of hours. =)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can not use the non standard h.265+ encoding. Only h.265 or h.264. I recommend h.264 .

Set the frame rate and the iframe to the same value.

djh_wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Done.

1631834583029.png

1631834609206.png

1631834637393.png

Not sure why, but done as suggested. Now? =)

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your CPU make and model ?
Also a screen shot of the bi status camera tab.

Also a screen shot of the output of the find inspect bof the camera ?

Is the camera working in bi ?

djh_wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm far from an expert with any of this, despite the fact I've used this for years and lurked here for a while. System started off as a laptop and a single foscam with BI about 8 years ago. Slowly expanded, never quite knew exactly what I was doing so I'm sure the system could be optimised greatly by anyone here who has a better understanding of all of this than I do.

Turns out that I have a couple of cams which are set under the video options as "HW accel : none". If I switch this back to "default", the BI UI won't load. Only way to get back in is. To either u plug the suspect cam, at which point I can load BI successfully and then alter the HWAccel option back to "no" before plugging the cam back in. Or alternatively use the cam's webui to do a quick reboot allowing me to do the same whilst it's not connected properly.

I'd love to learn a little more here, so whetever info you can provide would be an awesome starting block. Not quite sure how to best set this up, or how to see the benefits of various options. I'm all ears. =)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The latest versions of BI have been unstable with hardware acceleration, but if your cameras support substreams, I would strong encourage you to look at that because on a 3rd generation computer, you need all the help you can get to lower CPU%.

Do EVERY optimization in the wiki and you will see a major drop in the CPU. Substreams are a must, especially once you get over 4MP cameras.

A member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU at 30%.

And by EVERY, I mean EVERY. Too many people come here complaining of high CPU usage and claim they have done every optimization in the wiki and once they post screenshots, we see they are not using the substreams and that is probably one of the biggest CPU savers. Do not skip one because you think it isn't important or won't make that big of a deal. Even dropping frame rate a few FPS can make a big difference. No reason to run more than 15FPS, and many us have cams running at 10 to 12 FPS.

If you do not understand what something does in BI, then ask. Too many people also change a setting not realizing what it does and actually makes their performance worse.

Please post a screenshot of your BI camera status page that shows FPS, MP/s, etc.

djh_wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The latest versions of BI have been unstable with hardware acceleration, but if your cameras support substreams, I would strong encourage you to look at that because on a 3rd generation computer, you need all the help you can get to lower CPU%.

Do EVERY optimization in the wiki and you will see a major drop in the CPU. Substreams are a must, especially once you get over 4MP cameras.

A member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU at 30%.

And by EVERY, I mean EVERY. Too many people come here complaining of high CPU usage and claim they have done every optimization in the wiki and once they post screenshots, we see they are not using the substreams and that is probably one of the biggest CPU savers. Do not skip one because you think it isn't important or won't make that big of a deal. Even dropping frame rate a few FPS can make a big difference. No reason to run more than 15FPS, and many us have cams running at 10 to 12 FPS.

If you do not understand what something does in BI, then ask. Too many people also change a setting not realizing what it does and actually makes their performance worse.

Please post a screenshot of your BI camera status page that shows FPS, MP/s, etc.

Thanks for that. Been trawling the Wiki as suggested.
Here's what I've achieved so far:

1631917584936.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, substreams are a game changer!!!

djh_wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Jesus wept. Why didn't I check this out years ago. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Now to try to discover why this hwaccel option is killing the ui.

And... Is it worth looking into?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hardware acceleration is a BI issue with recent updates and nothing you can do.

Hardware acceleration was much more critical before substreams. Now with substreams, hardware acceleration saves maybe 1% CPU, so not worth looking into at this point.

djh_wolf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a way of performing a compassion to see which way works best in reality?