Can't connect remotely, private ip from ISP instead of public?

radman0184

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the info, I used to think I was pretty savy with this kind of stuff but the more I get into it the more I prove myself wrong lol!
Well I was able to look at everything better and for my ATT Uverse I have the large grey gateway/router that has a WAP plugged into it and then I have my Vera 3 plugged into the ATT router also. I believe I have to forward the ports between the two routers for it to work correctly and then the ports for Blue Iris. I've been running my Blue Iris off the vera since the wifi speeds are faster on it so I hope that wasnt the wrong thing to do. I will have to dig into this another day as I havent had much time lately and I travel out of town every week(which is why I want to access it from anywhere).
I hope it wont be an issue to run everything off the vera(internet, cam, blue iris) since its connected through the AT&T router........has anyone done anything like that? Again thanks for the detailed info.

radman0184

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh and I will definitely cancel the ATT guy coming out next week....I thought something seemed weird with all of that!

wrusprod

n3wb
Reaction score
Help! I believe im in the same boat as mentioned by OP. so Im bumping this thread.

I have ATT Uverse, my old modem died and i have the new motorola installed. I have the same looking setup as post #19.

I have my 4 IP cameras running wireless and i can see them locally on my network. I have Ipcamera app on my phone, when i turn off wifi at home and use data, i can see my cameras (public IP) i can also test each camera.
from MY network, with phone on WIFI, i can see the cameras but when i do a test, it doesnt connect.

My BI on my PC, is not getting signals from the cameras.

I have my 4 cameras with their ports setup on the gaming as shown on #19, screen shot to the right.

Im thinking its an issue with my public IP address regards to BI. maybe with the IP passthrough??

been going crazy with this and as mentioned above , ATT will help if i buy their $15 dollar a month service. hope to get some help

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok then your issue is not related to your external IP address or port forwarding make sure that you have the proper local IP addresses for the cameras entered in blue iris

wrusprod

n3wb
Reaction score
great! well I dont know why i had to change the setting for that. my cameras network IP settings were using the public IP. and it worked fine that way. I have my cameras back now, but my alerts are not working. I get an alert on my SMTP server settings,(Error with user authentication;Server says: 535 5.7.0 (#AUTH401) Incorrect username or password.) which i have not changed either..

so getting close!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You had to change the settings because your new modem/router combo does not support the function to allow you to enter your public ip address but route it internally...using your local ip address is the proper way to do this anyway-because you never have to worry about the public ip address changing......
What email service are you using to send those alerts?

wrusprod

n3wb
Reaction score
OK. thanks!

Im using ATT yahoo. my settings are correct. they worked fine with the other modem. something with BI and the change from public IP to local IP, somewhere.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK. thanks!

Im using ATT yahoo. my settings are correct. they worked fine with the other modem. something with BI and the change from public IP to local IP, somewhere.
I dont know what you mean by change from public ip to local, noting changed...your old router was just redirecting the public ip locally..there is a setting wrong in your email settings...please post your settings.
Also, re enter your user name and password.

wrusprod

n3wb
Reaction score
I got it. I deleted the email server account, re-entered. close BI, opened it . its now working

thanks for the help and quick responses!!

tolnep

n3wb
Reaction score
sheese.. i cannot get this to work.

1st PC windows server 2008 32 bit , no virus software and firewall turned off, Comcast business class network. configured the web, set up port forwarding on comcast modem. can browse from other PCs on the network but not from other networks. Wireshark shows the request from the remote PC on the forwarding port at the BI server. Server does not respond.

2nd test, same server, i have static IPs, so i set the server up on the internet, still doesnt work.

3rd test, remove BI from windows server and move it to new windows 2012 R2 64 bit server, set up port forward start wireshark. requests come in but server does not reply. any PC on the local LAN can access BI on the configured port. ports are forwared to BI, BI does not respond unless PC is on local subnet.

all servers have firewall disabled, all clients have firewall disabled. no anti-virus software running.

Key thing is running wireshark on same PC as BI shows request from remote network and the correct port.

any help greatly appreciated.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
sheese.. i cannot get this to work.

1st PC windows server 2008 32 bit , no virus software and firewall turned off, Comcast business class network. configured the web, set up port forwarding on comcast modem. can browse from other PCs on the network but not from other networks. Wireshark shows the request from the remote PC on the forwarding port at the BI server. Server does not respond.

2nd test, same server, i have static IPs, so i set the server up on the internet, still doesnt work.

3rd test, remove BI from windows server and move it to new windows 2012 R2 64 bit server, set up port forward start wireshark. requests come in but server does not reply. any PC on the local LAN can access BI on the configured port. ports are forwared to BI, BI does not respond unless PC is on local subnet.

all servers have firewall disabled, all clients have firewall disabled. no anti-virus software running.

Key thing is running wireshark on same PC as BI shows request from remote network and the correct port.

any help greatly appreciated.
Hmmmm... if I recall I have seen devices fail to respond to requests from the internet (but succeed in responding to requests from the local network) if the gateway address was wrong. Not likely to be your problem, unfortunately.

So the incoming request captured by wireshark shows the destination port is the same port Blue Iris is listening on? It is not uncommon for people to get the remote and local ports mixed up in their port forwarding rules.

Does the server have only one IP address? If it has more than one IP address, maybe Blue Iris is not listening on all of them? I think it listens on all network interfaces though, so again this is not likely to be your problem.

tolnep

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmmm... if I recall I have seen devices fail to respond to requests from the internet (but succeed in responding to requests from the local network) if the gateway address was wrong. Not likely to be your problem, unfortunately.

So the incoming request captured by wireshark shows the destination port is the same port Blue Iris is listening on? It is not uncommon for people to get the remote and local ports mixed up in their port forwarding rules.

Does the server have only one IP address? If it has more than one IP address, maybe Blue Iris is not listening on all of them? I think it listens on all network interfaces though, so again this is not likely to be your problem.
in the end i built a new Server Win2k12 R2 Standard 64 and was able to get everything working on a clean build. Most of my systems are full of all kinds of applications. One thing i found is that there is a conflict with SADP and Wireshark. I think they both install WinPcap and use different versions. I only need SADP to get started so i have de-installed it from all but one machine.