Can't connect to BI on LTE (at&t)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) As @Benak stated: Does your BI server have a static LAN IP? If not assign it one, use what is out of range of the router's DHCP pool (usually that would be between .200 to .253).
2) Have you also assigned it a port? BI's default port is 81. That's the port you will forward in your router to the BI server's IP.
3) Did you follow those instructions in the link above for the Pace 5268AC? If so you would not have a blank in the screenshot you furnished for "Application Profile Name"...just call it "BlueIrisTCP"

jameshtx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1) As @Benak stated: Does your BI server have a static LAN IP? If not assign it one, use what is out of range of the router's DHCP pool (usually that would be between .200 to .253).
2) Have you also assigned it a port? BI's default port is 81. That's the port you will forward in your router to the BI server's IP.
3) Did you follow those instructions in the link above for the Pace 5268AC? If so you would not have a blank in the screenshot you furnished for "Application Profile Name"...just call it "BlueIrisTCP"
1) Yes. I used a 2 digit#. Should i used 3 digits like you suggest?
2) Yes
3) Its blank bc its just an example. I called it blue iris and followed instructions on the link. Still can’t access on when phone on LTE

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Yes. I used a 2 digit#. Should i used 3 digits like you suggest?
No. 0XX works as XX, so it's OK.

Still can’t access on when phone on LTE
On Blue Iris server PC go to whatismyip.com, write that IP down. That is your WAN (Public) IP.
Is that the WAN IP you have entered into your BI phone app for WAN?

Who set up your router when remote access with smartphone was working with Blue Iris on the laptop?

Last edited:

jameshtx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No. 0XX works as XX, so it's OK.

On Blue Iris server PC go to whatismyip.com, write that IP down. That is your WAN (Public) IP.
Is that the WAN IP you have entered into your BI phone app for WAN?

Who set up your router when remote access with smartphone was working with Blue Iris on the laptop?
TonyR,

I did the setup on my old laptop and using the same old rule as fenderman suggested. I also deleted and reinstalled the mobile app again, restarted my desktop, triple checked ip on app and desktop. I really appreciate everyone's patience and understanding. I have faith eventually we'll get this figured out. Pls dont give up on me...

Screenshot current firewall port forwarding. What am I missing?

jameshtx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i made sure my ip address on whatsmyip.com matches WAN on mobile app.

screenshot of mobile setup

screen shot of whatsmyip.com

jameshtx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is making me crazy. I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Please don't give up on me yet lol

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What are the first two octets of your WAN IP (just to make sure it is a public address and not a private address which some ISPs provide unless you pay for a public address)? Also On your router screenshot of the definition list you would normally need to then assign the correct definition to the specific IP of your BI server maybe on the firewall rules or advanced tab?

jameshtx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are the first two octets of your WAN IP (just to make sure it is a public address and not a private address which some ISPs provide unless you pay for a public address)? Also On your router screenshot of the definition list you would normally need to then assign the correct definition to the specific IP of your BI server maybe on the firewall rules or advanced tab?
What does that mean when you say first two octets? My WAN IP starts with two digit number, followed by a dot, then followed by a three digit number ( XX.XXX.X.XX:8881 ). There's no annual fee to use Blue Iris mobile App right? Also on my desktop I went on canyouseeme.org and entered 8881 as port# then keeps saying something about time is out. I'm reading the help-->getting started on mobile app, where I circled in red about wifi access point. In my house I have second wifi router for stronger signal strength. Do i have to configure that too?

Last edited:

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As long as that first two digit number isn't 10 your WAN IP should be publicly accessible which is what you need. Octets are the numbers between the dots in the ip address, I just want to make sure your WAN IP is a public IP if it is in 10.x.x.x 192.168.x.x 172.x.x.x then it is likely a private IP that your ISP gave you. Some ISPs charge extra for a public IP. There is only the one time fee for the BI mobile app per environment (iOS or Android).

Can you show a screenshot of you "Advanced Configuration" and "Firewall Rules" tabs next to the "Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ" tab you gave the screenshot of in post #18?

jameshtx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As long as that first two digit number isn't 10 your WAN IP should be publicly accessible which is what you need. Octets are the numbers between the dots in the ip address, I just want to make sure your WAN IP is a public IP if it is in 10.x.x.x 192.168.x.x 172.x.x.x then it is likely a private IP that your ISP gave you. Some ISPs charge extra for a public IP. There is only the one time fee for the BI mobile app per environment (iOS or Android).

Can you show a screenshot of you "Advanced Configuration" and "Firewall Rules" tabs next to the "Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ" tab you gave the screenshot of in post #18?
The first two number of my WAN is 76 so does that mean its public?
The Firewall Rule tab is empty bc I didn’t add any rules. I’ll screenshot Advance Config tab when I get home.

Last edited:

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes 76 would be public so you should be fine there. On any router I've worked with in the past you setup the ports to open like you list above but that only creates a list of "app"s available to use on another screen where you setup which IP you want the "app" assigned and that actually opens the specified port from your 76 address to your BI IP of 192.168.1.x or whatever you used for your internal subnet. Some routers make this easier by putting it all on one page like the following the attached example. However you may want to look at your router to see if it has VPN server capabilities instead of opening ports at all, it makes it a little more work for you but is much more secure than simple port forwarding especially as it looks like you aren't using sTunnel to at least use a secured port.

Attachments

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Look for somewhere you can assign your port 8881 rule to your server ip.

jameshtx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On the "Applications, Pinhole" tab, I selected my desktop as the computer which uses its ip

jameshtx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
blank except for the port, there has to be an option for you to enter the ip address, otherwise you are not in the correct setting...
If I picked 8881 to be the HTTP port on BI web server, do I put “8881” in the “to” and “from” port range box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk