Can't connect to Blue Iris server on Verizon Wireless

Discussion in 'iOS' started by metro, Mar 22, 2017.

Share This Page

1. metro

metro n3wb

Hello All!

I have a very strange issue with a customer for whom I set up a Blue Iris server at his home.

When on a remote WiFi network (not his home WiFi), he can open his Blue Iris iOS app and connect flawlessly to view his cameras. If he turns off WiFi and uses his Verizon Wireless LTE, Blue Iris can't connect and gives the error "Check network availability". Back on WiFi, it again works flawlessly.

So, in testing different scenarios we tried a few things.
    I had him download an iOS network tool and he can successfully ping his home router and can run a full, successful traceroute to it.

Further, he can even visit his public ip: port in Safari and successfully pull up the login page for the Blue Iris web server.

This problem has existed for a couple of months now and I'm out of ideas for what might be going on.

Happy to provide any additional details if anyone has questions.

Edit: forgot to add one important detail. I can dial in the same exact settings he's using (he's sent me screenshots) in to my iOS Blue Iris app on my phone and it connects flawlessly when I'm on AT&T LTE. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Verizon phone to test it on that network.

Attached Files:

2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

This has nothing to do with the verizon network..I am on verizon without issue...
    First thing I would do is uninstall the app and reinstall it.

3. metro

metro n3wb

I appreciate your input. You're right that it's probably a good idea to reinstall the app.

While I wasn't necessarily pointing fingers at Verizon, it was the only variable I could identify that was different from my other test scenarios (remote WiFi, AT&T LTE, etc). I am trying to put all the pieces together to figure out what's causing a lack of connection when away from a WiFi connection.

Thanks again!

4. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Also consider setting up a vpn..

5. metro

metro n3wb

I've already got one set up for my home connection and have turned off all outside WAN access to the server. I may tell him its necessary to do so as well. Just more curious at this point at the technical aspect of what might be changing when moving to a cellular connection.

6. metro

metro n3wb

And I do have him running through Stunnel, for an https connection. I know a VPN is still one big step better.

7. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Are you sure he has https selected in the app?

8. metro

metro n3wb

Thank you, yes, first thing I checked. It's selected as "https://" in the WAN drop-down. He's tried both the domain name I have tied to his home IP and the direct IP address and port. Both work on a remote wifi connection, neither work on Verizon.

9. PatPend

PatPend n3wb

Make sure you enter the home network IP address in both LAN and WAN fields in the app.

10. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Is it even possible for LTE data access to be disabled for an app, leaving wifi access available to that app? Because that would be my guess. The OS blocking WAN access for the Blue Iris app unless wifi is connected...