can't connect to blue iris server using BI app from iphone 6, tried everything

rekma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
so i bought the blue iris app version 1.40.12 for $11.99 from the app store

got blue iris 4 software $80~ with the lastest version downloaded today installed on my computer

router ip is 192.168.0.1
port forwarded port 8053, checked several website and youtube video so im pretty sure its right, tried port 180,8083,8081,8082,80,81. port forward all of those
got static ip address for my computer 192.168.0.120 which is connected to the router wirelessly
3 cameras connected wireless to my router each with 192.168.0.197-199
router is connected to a modem

authentication is on. secure only is checked
used port checker to see if my ports are open and good
turned off windows firewall and antivirus uninstalled.
My iphone connects using 192.168.0.120:8083 when I am on wifi so everything works fine here, just cant use it when im not in wifi
i can connect using the web browser.
When I turn wifi off the phone will not connect using external IP which is whatever is only in the BI software or when you google external ip address. so "xxx.xxx.xx.x:8083"
username and password is what i made under user tab in blue iris software

i read both forums trying to find anything on this ipcamtalk and cam-it.org

not sure what else i can do. i have an iphone 6 IOS 8.4
windows 8
using 3 dlink 5010L cameras
restarting the router and computer and blue iris several times inbetween to see if it might work.

the conclusion i came down to is that blue iris app IOS does not work with iphone 6 IOS 8.4

please help. thank you.

rekma

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
omg i figured it out thanks to another post.

"
[h=2]Apps on Iphone not working on remote access[/h]
I just finished setting up my foscam camera and am using the Blue Iris. So far I can view the camera remotely from the laptop from anywhere outside of my home wifi.
However on the Iphone, I could only view when I am home, using the same wifi where the camera is. I keep getting an error message:
Blue Iris
Unable to make connection. Check server address.

I'm pretty sure I put down the correct info on both LAN and WAN and un-checked the https option.
Is there a step I missed that I am still not able to access remotely?
Would appreciate any feedback/info.
"

you uncheck the https option. i thought it was to enable WAN or LAN setting or both but its totally something else.
so both were checked everytime but i dont understand why LAN worked when i still had it checked.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The https option should not effect the login from mobile. That option simply adds a layer of security to the login while passing your credentials back to the BI server. I have mine checked and it works just fine outside my network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The https option should not effect the login from mobile. That option simply adds a layer of security to the login while passing your credentials back to the BI server. I have mine checked and it works just fine outside my network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the https option is selected and you dont have it properly setup via stunnel on your server, it will not log in..at least on my andriod app

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, so I looked at my settings and it turns out that you can have a check mark in the HTTPS for LAN without it being respected if there isn't a check in the box to use Stunnel. I must have checked them both at one time and when I decided I didn't need to use Stunnel I unchecked that box leaving the HTTPS via LAN checked. I have to assume that HTTPS on LAN being checked but greyed out is not respecting the check flag in the software since it hasn't been causing me any issues.

I unchecked it now just so I don't confuse myself again in the future.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, so I looked at my settings and it turns out that you can have a check mark in the HTTPS for LAN without it being respected if there isn't a check in the box to use Stunnel. I must have checked them both at one time and when I decided I didn't need to use Stunnel I unchecked that box leaving the HTTPS via LAN checked. I have to assume that HTTPS on LAN being checked but greyed out is not respecting the check flag in the software since it hasn't been causing me any issues.

I unchecked it now just so I don't confuse myself again in the future.
Its possible that when you had the lan https checked, the connection failed and just went over to the wan connection...

Reaction score
i have this problem now too but with a twist. The BI app on iPhone worked FINE on both my and wife's phone yesterday up until I went to bed ~midnight. This morning i decided to try and check the nighttime alerts and now both phones are getting the "Unable to make connection..." error message. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i have this problem now too but with a twist. The BI app on iPhone worked FINE on both my and wife's phone yesterday up until I went to bed ~midnight. This morning i decided to try and check the nighttime alerts and now both phones are getting the "Unable to make connection..." error message. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?
It's a networking issue ... likely either your external IP address changed or the internal IP of the blue Iris machine changed.

Reaction score
It's a networking issue ... likely either your external IP address changed or the internal IP of the blue Iris machine changed.
In the BI app there is a "get IPs" button that seems to be properly retrieving the IPs. What/where else should i be looking?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the BI app there is a "get IPs" button that seems to be properly retrieving the IPs. What/where else should i be looking?
Are you using the blue iris automatic port forwarding/dynamic option or did you do it manually?
You also must ensure that the blue iris servers local ip address remains static. You can do that with your routers dhcp reservation option.