Can't connect to camera

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a hikvision IP camera but can't connect to the ip adress. It shows up in the SADP tool as well as in i-VMS 4200. It is connected only using a switch and a laptop. the switch isn't connected to the internet. when i try to go to the ip adress. How does it come that it says the site can't be reached when i try to go to the ip? Does it have anything to do with the local network?

Reaction score
What does SADP show for the value of the HTTP port?
The HTTP port is 80.
Is the IP address of the camera in the same range as the IP address of the PC? (eg list them both)
The ip adress of the camera is 192.168.1.64, the ip adress of the computer is 169.254.219.46. Does changing the ip adress of the computer to the range of 192.169.1.2-254 help?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Your computer can't find a DHCP server - that why it has that 'self administered address'.
It sounds like you've wired the camera direct to the PC. Best not to do that.
You need to either give the PC a fixed address, or plug it back in to the LAN.
Then use SADP to give the camera a valid address on the LAN.

technofaux

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I seem to be having a similar issue. I have connected the camera to a switch and switch to PC and updated the camera IP so that it is on the same gateway and has a static IP in the same range as my network. When I do this, I can see from computer all the way through to the camera and everything is working fine. As soon as I unplug the switch (it's an unmanaged TP-Link POE switch) from the PC then into the router, I can no longer see or ping the camera. The camera periodically shows up in SADP for a few seconds, then disappears. At this point, I can't view or do anything to manage or view the camera. Any thoughts on what my be wrong?