Can't Connect to Jennov Mini PTZ Via IP

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I bought a Jennov mini PTZ IP camera to replace a similar Chinese camera that has been failing.

I powered up the camera and plugged it into my router, but couldn't find the IP address. Then I tried SADP, which show my other six cameras but not the new camera. On a whim, I "added: the new camera to Blue Iris and used the "find my camera" functionality, and it found the camera right away on 192.168.1.214.

So I went back to my browser (Chrome) and entered the IP address, still no joy. Then I tried Explorer, nothing there either? But now it does appear in my router.

I want to access the camera to modify the default settings, such as the date/time being shown and so forth. I have never run into this road block before, no doubt I'm missing the obvious but sure could use some pointers.

Shawn

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here it is on Amazon, can't find it right away on the Jennov website.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I own that one. It works in Blue Iris...
Yes, it's working in BI but I can't access the camera directly to change settings (also can't get any audio out of it and the zoom isn't 5X as advertised). Can you access yours via a browser?

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yep, in good OLD IE. If you try to access it in either FireFox or Edge, you won't see the video although you can adjust the settings. Be aware, even in OLD IE, you have to enable ActiveX to see the video.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If you do the numbers, it's 4.28x zoom, so as is typical, they exaggerate.. ;)

Audio works fine.

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you do the numbers, it's 4.28x zoom, so as is typical, they exaggerate.. ;)

Thanks for the help.

Audio works fine.
Yes, exaggeration is a good word. The camera I just removed had "4X" zoom which effectively was about 10 times more zoom than the Jennov

I can access all my other IP cams in IE, this one is somehow different

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just tried Chrome. Same as FF and Edge. I can adjust everything, but can't actually see the video there.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Don't know what to tell you. Also I'm not sure what you mean by a 4X zoom is 10x more effective than a 4.28x zoom, but whatever...

Just remember, you buy cheap, you get cheap. That's just life...

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're right of course, I bought cheap and got cheap.I replaced another camera with this Jennov. The prior cam was advertised as 4X zoom and the Jennov was advertised as 5X zoom. The prior camera zoom was about 400% at full zoom. The Jennov is about 125% at full zoom. Live and learn.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
X times zoom is meaningless.

A camera that starts at a 2.8mm focal length and says 5 times zoom means the focal length is 14mm at max optical zoom. This is not more powerful than a camera that starts with a 6mm focal length and 3 times zoom as that focal length is 18mm, so it can see further.

It is these games and others the cheap cams do to over sell their capabilities.

In fact look at this camera being described. It says 5 times zoom, but the specs say 2.8 to 12mm, which is 4.28 times zoom as someone else mentioned.

ShawnInPaso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the info wittaj. I'm always learning, so this info will help me make a more informed choice in the future.

X times zoom is meaningless.

A camera that starts at a 2.8mm focal length and says 5 times zoom means the focal length is 14mm at max optical zoom. This is not more powerful than a camera that starts with a 6mm focal length and 3 times zoom as that focal length is 18mm, so it can see further.

It is these games and others the cheap cams do to over sell their capabilities.

In fact look at this camera being described. It says 5 times zoom, but the specs say 2.8 to 12mm, which is 4.28 times zoom as someone else mentioned.