Can't detect DS-2CD2132F-IS ip address. Please help.

whoopi

n3wb
Reaction score
Need advise. I have zero knowledge of camera/router setup. I connected Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS camera to the ISP provided router port 4 using a network cable(RJ45). I noticed no light is showing-up on router port 4. And when I installed SADP, no device is showing up. No camera is being detected. Camera has an assigned ip address 192.168.1.64. When I entered 192.168.1.64 on web browser, message is "this webpage is not available". When I view router GUI, ip add 192.168.1.64 is assigned to a device(TV box icon) which is inactive. Is there something I need to do to be able to detect the camera?

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have power to the camera? Typically a PoE (power over Ethernet) switch or other source?

whoopi

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to camera/router setup. What is power to the camera and PoE switch? Isn't it connecting camera network interface(RJ45) directly to an ISP provided router (Actiontec v1000h) will power the camera.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You also need power for the camera. If you only have one camera you can find an inexpensive single PoE switch that you will plug into the wall socket. One cable goes from Poe to camera and one goes from 2nd port of Poe to your network.
I'm not familiar with your camera but that's what is typically needed.

whoopi

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks msnow, I will buy a PoE switch. I've always thought connecting camera directly to a router will power the camera.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks msnow, I will buy a PoE switch. I've always thought connecting camera directly to a router will power the camera.
You can power the camera via a Regulated 12v power supply. However, it is neater using POE.

If you only want to power one camera and not planning to get any more cameras anytime soon, a cheap POE injector might be more suiting. You can spend a bit more to get a proper 802.3af compliant POE injector.

However, if you plan to get more cameras in the future or other POE devices (ie wifi access point) a POE switch is the better solution.

Just keep in mind not all POE switches are the same. The cheaper 8 port models, usually only have 4 actual POE ports, the other 4 being standard ports. Other than that, there is the total power capacity of the switch.

msnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can power the camera via a Regulated 12v power supply. However, it is neater using POE.

If you only want to power one camera and not planning to get any more cameras anytime soon, a cheap POE injector might be more suiting. You can spend a bit more to get a proper 802.3af compliant POE injector.

However, if you plan to get more cameras in the future or other POE devices (ie wifi access point) a POE switch is the better solution.

Just keep in mind not all POE switches are the same. The cheaper 8 port models, usually only have 4 actual POE ports, the other 4 being standard ports. Other than that, there is the total power capacity of the switch.
I was suggesting the single port injector (not switch as I said above) if it's just going to be a single camera, my mistake. Very inexpensive.

whoopi

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Michelin Man. I'm getting more cameras so buying a PoE switch.

User manual says camera can be connected via switch or router. I know you guys suggested a PoE switch, I'm curious and would like to know the reason why camera didn't work when I connected to the ISP provided router (Actiontec v1000h). SADP app didn't detect the camera. Does anyone know why Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IS didn't work on Actiontec v1000h router?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
User manual says camera can be connected via switch or router
Yes, indeed, this is referring to data communications.

A normal switch or router such as yours is only used for communications, it has no role in providing power.

The Ethernet UTP wiring standard mandates 4 pairs but for 10/100 speeds only uses 2 of these, so a standard was developed to make use of the unused pairs to supply power for small devices such as telephones and cameras.
This concept was called Power Over Ethernet (PoE) and is defined in the 802.3af standard amongst others.
It's really convenient to be able to avoid the use of a mains-connected power supply for each small end-point.
To make the concept even more convenient, the provision of power to the PoE standard has been built in to some models of Ethernet switches called PoE switches.
But your Actiontec v1000h router does not have that capability, so when your camera Ethernet cable is plugged in to it your camera still needs a power source such as an external 12v DC adaptor.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
User manual says camera can be connected via switch or router.
Technically it can, it just needs external power via 12vdc (center pin positive).

The only other way to power it is if you happen to have a regulated 48v DC supply, and manually splice in the 2 pairs of cables to power the camera. POE devices (PDs) which comply with 802.3af must accept both Mode A and Mode B. Mode A is where power is superimposed on the data lines so it uses a total of 2 pairs/4 wires. Mode B uses the 2 spare pairs of wires for power. This is where you can connect it up to a regulated 48vdc supply (a passive injector does this).