Can't get cameras to sync correctly with proper time all the time

jcams

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
UPDATE: I needed to tick the box "Allow other computers to sync" option.. Its working now! THANKS for the help!

Reaction score
I also have the similar issue with my Foscam security camera losing time, especially with the DST option enabled. It’s such a basic thing I’d have thought something like this would work easily and flawlessly right!? I have a Windows domain controller on my home network, which by definition has a time server; all I want is to be able to ensure the camera gets its time and syncs with the DC. A simple task you may think (I did, and have been working in software development for over 20 years! In fact time sync in a Windows domain is a very important thing, like if it breaks, many other things usually fail over too! Hence why I’d like the camera to run in sync with the time server in my domain. But yes, reading some of the posts in this thread; I’m getting very similar results, especially wi th the DST setting! Imo if a device (camera) is configured to use NTP, then the DST setting should be null and void anyway, as it should just be synced With the NTP, and that’s that….but it isn’t.
Anyone have any advice on this? It’s not the end of the world, but it’s very annoying for somewhat of a perfectionist like me, as it makes me kinda obsessively manually sync the camera to my iPhone using the app (which also isn’t synced to the DC, so isn’t ideal even then!).
any advice appreciated :)

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My understanding is some devices may not have an accurate oscillator, thus time will drift between updates. Temperature variation can also affect oscillator stability. This will be exaggerated if you block the devices from the Internet, preventing NTP updates.

Suggestions:
1. Increase the polling rate, if supported
2. Buy or build your own NTP server, and redirect all outbound port 123 (NTP) requests to the local NTP server.

I happen to run a NTP server on my pfSense firewall connected to a Stratum 0 GPS+PPS source. Less than 10 usec offset/jitter for less than $50.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I also have the similar issue with my Foscam security camera losing time
By how much, over what time period?
Multiples of 30 or 60 mins, or more granular?

="liquidsmoke, post: 819669, member: 185703"]
especially with the DST option enabled.
On or off, that would give either a 60min or 30min offset.

="liquidsmoke, post: 819669, member: 185703"]
I have a Windows domain controller on my home network, which by definition has a time server
With apologies for the dumb question, but are you sure the DC is running an NTP server?
Do any of the cameras have a Test button for the NTP definition?
At a Windows command prompt, use :
w32tm /query /peers