Can't see Hikvision DS-2CD2132-1

snanceki

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new but have been looking around the site in order to try to resolve my problem. I have recently installed a Hikvision DS-2CD2022F-1 on a Mac OS 10.5 with no difficulties. I have subsequenty bought a DS-2CD2132-1 dome camera (from eBay!!) which I have tried to install on a different Mac OS10.7. (Can't access the first installation in order to swap cameras due to 400 miles away).
In short the camera powers up (red IR lights) but when I look for its ip I can't locate it. Used the arp -na command on my Mac to identify all connected devices with the camera resulting in an incomplete address (ip but no mac address). I understand a Mac issues 169.254.xxx.xxx locally if it can't communicate for some reason.
Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 3.57.44 pm.jpg.
So my question is basically what can I do to "find" the camera. I suspect that although this camera was sold as new that it has in fact been used (best case senario) and had its parameters changed. No CD in box and it was a very good deal!
So the first obvious move is where is the reset button, but I've seen on your site that there isn't one. You suggest flashing the camera with something that I am not familiar XXXX (can't remember the acronym offhand) but I sense several problems.
1. Surely I need to be able to see the camera.
2. What exact software do I need to prevent a further host of problems that you have written about. i.e. No English etc.
or do I just return the goods and start over.

Surely there must be some way of getting the camera to communicate?
I sure you will have an answer and especially your legend ?stevenson.
Thanks in anticipation.
Incidentally an excellent site especially since you can include images without any difficulties.
Once this problem is solved I'm sure I will have others as I get more ambitious in my requirements.
Stuart.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So my question is basically what can I do to "find" the camera.
Unfortunately, the very good tool to find cameras across subnets is the SADP tool which as far as I know is only available for Windows.
If you are able to run this, it will find the camera, enable it to be activated if required, and change the network settings to match your local requirements.

snanceki

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the very good tool to find cameras across subnets is the SADP tool which as far as I know is only available for Windows.
If you are able to run this, it will find the camera, enable it to be activated if required, and change the network settings to match your local requirements.
Hi Alastair, Thank you for your reply. Well I've learnt a lot but am not much further forward. It was straightforward when I installed the DS-2CD2022F-1 at a different location so I don't understand what is different this time around.
Following your post I decided to use a PC to check that the camera was OK using SADP to see if the camera communicated the ip, serial number, etc. which are in fact still showing the default settings. I then used iVMS which also showed up these details. However I have been unable to get a video image to display. Sorting out expanding a .rar and the various PC processes that I am not familiar with was a bind so I decided to return to the Mac.
On the Mac I'm using Security Spy so didn't bother with iVMS which is available on the Mac and also manages to display the serial number etc. so that's a start.. However I still can't get a video image to display.

So in short do you have any further ideas. Stuart. :(

snanceki

n3wb
Reaction score
OK. I'm nearly there. I can now see the camera after changing the ip address of the second ethernet connection into my Mac (was 192.168.xxx.xxx) so that it lines up with the camera group (192.0.0.64). I set it to 192.0.0.100.
I got this lead from the following excellent video at 1:35 However although I can get into the camera via iVMS to change settings I have one remaining problem. How can I rotate the image like I can do in SecuritySpy to invert the image.
Thanks so much for your help I almost gave up!! I've learnt so much about these wretched ip's and domains.
Stuart

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK. I'm nearly there. I can now see the camera after changing the ip address of the second ethernet connection into my Mac (was 192.168.xxx.xxx) so that it lines up with the camera group (192.0.0.64).
Suggestion: Use SADP on the PC to set the camera IP address to one on your normal network so you don't need to reconfigure the Mac.
When you've done that, use the PC browser (should be IE) to access the camera web GUI at the new IP address, install webcomponents when prompted.
How can I rotate the image like I can do in SecuritySpy to invert the image.
In the Configuration pages use the 'mirror' and 'rotate' choices as needed.
Example below:

cam41.jpg

snanceki

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, once the ip issue was resolved access to the camera via the web browser (Safari in Mac) is the easiest way to change parameters so long as you have a good quality password.

haven't found the mirror & rotate functions yet but now I know they are there I'm sure if I look a little harder they will show up.

Thanks again,

Stuart.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
haven't found the mirror & rotate functions yet but now I know they are there I'm sure if I look a little harder they will show up.
Check out the attachment above - Advanced Configuration | Image | Video Adjustment.

snanceki

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes found it thank you.
I had visited that page but didn't know what Mirror referred to so passed it by. There isn't a similar one that I could find in iVMS although Security Spy has the functionality.
The lesson that I have learned is that although the HikVision apps can see the camera locally even with an invalid ip range "normal" ip tools are not so intelligent and throw up more problems than they solve. Still not sure what "sub net" is all about and under what circumstances the default 255 should be changed.
Likewise ports remain somewhat of a mystery but I'm sure I will get the hang of it with a little more practice.
Next step emails notifications on movement and then to PTZ controls.

Actual sequence was Advanced Configuration > Image > Display Settings > Mirror > Up/Down

Thanks again.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to configure the camera to use an IP address that works on your local network,
not the other way around (ie, Don't go changing your computer's network settings to match the camera)

If you can't understand the networking settings, then use the SADP software to enable DHCP on the camera,
so that it will automatically get a useable IP address from your local network gateway. (The only downside
with that is the address might change in the future if the dhcp server forgets your cam's address and assigns
it a different one, but at least it'll always have an address that works on your network, or wherever you plug it in...)

snanceki

n3wb
Reaction score
@ pozzello.

The whole problem started because SADP does not run on Mac OSX and since the default camera ip is 192.0.0.64 (whilst most home networks default to 192.168.1.X) the camera ip or a camera change to DHCP was required. But how without SADP?

I therefore tried using various ip scanners but they can't see the camera since although the network is connected two way communication is not established so the camera mac address can't be seen. The question was how to change the camera ip without SADP.
It turns out that there is a version of iVMS (Hikvision) that runs on Mac (not supplied on the CD) that can be used instead since the Hikvision software can somehow communicate despite the camera and network being on different ip ranges.
However since I use SecuritySpy and hadn't bothered to download iVMS there was no way to change the camera ip.
I therefore changed the computer ip range…simples…but it took a bit of mental gymnastics when not used to dealing with this type of problem.

Stuart.