Can't they make Foscam run 5 gig wifi

browser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can't they make Foscam run 5 gig wifi ? Could it be done with firmware? Don't shoot me I'm new here. We all know 2.4 gig has been used and abused for years Isn't it time to do 5 gig I have a modem that uses both 2.4 & 5gig. To all those who choose wired more power 2 ya but I prefer wireless

tia Browser :eek:nthego:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't they make Foscam run 5 gig wifi ? Could it be done with firmware? Don't shoot me I'm new here. We all know 2.4 gig has been used and abused for years Isn't it time to do 5 gig I have a modem that uses both 2.4 & 5gig. To all those who choose wired more power 2 ya but I prefer wireless

tia Browser :eek:nthego:
Please do yourself a favor and stay away from foscam.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well if your foscams dont support 5ghz its really doesnt matter if they make a 5ghz camera in the future.
Keep in mind, that you can turn ANY network camera in a 5ghz wifi camera by using a 5ghz wifi bridge.

browser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well if your foscams dont support 5ghz its really doesnt matter if they make a 5ghz camera in the future.
Keep in mind, that you can turn ANY network camera in a 5ghz wifi camera by using a 5ghz wifi bridge.
Just how can that be done sir? Could you tell me can it be done with another router I have one that is dual band but I'n lost from there

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why 5GHz? 2.4GHz has more than enough bandwidth and has a much better range.

Newer doesn't mean better!

browser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
use an old router or buy a cheap wifi 5ghz bridge...plug camera into bridge, camera is now 5ghz wifi.
'm pretty sure I can bridge the 2 modems But how can you get the cam to use 5 gig ? If you could point me in the right direction

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
'm pretty sure I can bridge the 2 modems But how can you get the cam to use 5 gig ? If you could point me in the right direction
routers not modems.
When you plug the camera into a wifi bridge (using Ethernet form the camera to bridge) the camera is now using the wireless of the Bridge
Since you refuse to run cable, you are better off trying powerline adapters rather than messing with 5ghz wifi, the range is terrible.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA2010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1439660281&sr=1-3&keywords=powerline+adapter

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

browser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
not that I prefer wireless just don want to punch holes in walls Also I do have 2 routers

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
not that I prefer wireless just don want to punch holes in walls Also I do have 2 routers
then use power line.
Or high a professional professional to cleanly snake the cable in walls...they will charge about 100 dollars per drop..not to much more than the other options.
Wifi is not a good solution for a multicamrera setup, particularly foscam cameras. You are just going to be chasing your tail and never have a stable setup.'
How are your two routers connected?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got wireless for my garage 1x Indoor and 1x Outdoor (I don't like powerline but I guess that will work too). Absolutely no problems on 2.4GHz but I have it on a different router than my normal internet. 5GHz I wouldn't be able to receive. Although that's super-fast transferring files from my laptop, it's range is shockingly bad.

browser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
then use power line.
Or high a professional professional to cleanly snake the cable in walls...they will charge about 100 dollars per drop..not to much more than the other options.
Wifi is not a good solution for a multicamrera setup, particularly foscam cameras. You are just going to be chasing your tail and never have a stable setup.'
How are your two routers connected?
they aren't at the moment by I did have them connected by Ethernet cable

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
they aren't at the moment by I did have them connected by Ethernet cable
then see if you can run a cable to the second router direct from the camera...if not use powerline or a bridge...or simply invest in some better cameras that are not plagued with wifi issues.

browser

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got wireless for my garage 1x Indoor and 1x Outdoor (I don't like powerline but I guess that will work too). Absolutely no problems on 2.4GHz but I have it on a different router than my normal internet. 5GHz I wouldn't be able to receive. Although that's super-fast transferring files from my laptop, it's range is shockingly bad.
you're the second person to say 5 gig isn't good wow thanks

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I love 5Ghz. I get much better bandwidth on my laptop and mobile devices than 2.4
I use wired for everything except mobile devices, and my laptop when I'm on the couch. I do plug it in when at my desk.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
100% agree that for laptops etc 5GHz is the way ahead but for long-distance 2.4GHz you can get some serious distance with the right antennas etc.

Everything I can plug in, I do. So if it doesn't move, I try to plug it in. It's only because I have no ethernet run to the garage that I use wireless there.