Can't understand why CPU usage is so high

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
upgrading to Windows Pro to get that costs AUD170!
Windows 10 Pro is FREE... long as the Activate Windows watermark in the lower right corner doesn't bother you.

If you use the Windows media creation tool now you get v. 1903. Only thing you wouldnt be able to do with it without the key is change some display background settings. I change hardware on my computers so often I rarely ever have a activated copy of Windows.

Just click the install key later option when installing Windows. Just make sure to back up BlueIris and your Stunnel config if you have one onto a removable drive first. When you restore BlueIris your BI key will reattach its self.

If the Activate Windows watermark bothers you buy a key off ebay from one of the sellers in the EU. You can get a key for less than $10 and they email it to you immediately. Ive bought probably 10+ keys like that and never had a issue.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
In terms of home or pro, what gets installed will depend on what the installer finds in the BIOS in terms of license. My Surface Pro for example alway installs home giving no choice.

Aspiring Geek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
a second BI license will cost you 35 dollars from the developer
fenderman, thank you again! I use a number of windows machines around the house - several desktops and a laptop, as well as a mac while travelling. Under the circumstances, I would need several licences - one for each machine at hand as well as the travelling mac. Otherwise I need to go looking for a specific machine with the second licence. I think I need to go either the Teamviewer or VPN with WRD as per whoami's suggestion? I am honing in on an Optiplex 7020 i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz with 8GB.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman, thank you again! I use a number of windows machines around the house - several desktops and a laptop, as well as a mac while travelling. Under the circumstances, I would need several licences - one for each machine at hand as well as the travelling mac. Otherwise I need to go looking for a specific machine with the second licence. I think I need to go either the Teamviewer or VPN with WRD as per whoami's suggestion? I am honing in on an Optiplex 7020 i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz with 8GB.
You dont need full control using every machine, on the other machines simply use the free webserver.

Reaction score
You dont need full control using every machine, on the other machines simply use the free web server.
Recommend this ^^ all around the house I use the web server in Blue Iris for iPad, phones, Smart TV, and I keep it up on a secondary monitor at my desk in a browser window.

You really only need the Remote View and Remote Desktop if you are going to start tweaking settings, because even viewing clips you can do via the web server. My point is solid 90% of the time the web server will probably be enough.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use teamviewer with good success. One thing I do find though is if BI does an update while connected it also stops the teamviewer connection and you have to connect again!

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like there is less CPU usage with new BI upgrade. Anyone else notice?

Aspiring Geek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thought I should report on outcomes from my earliier posts, input from fenderman, whoami and other comments: Purchased refurbished i4790 Dell Optiplex with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD on ebay for AUD 363 delivered. FYI - this machine along with cameras (via Cisco switch) is connected to Cyberpower UPS. Have transferred BI settings to "new" server and decommissioned old BI installation - as per fenderman's advice on another post (thank you again!!). Server up and running and accessible from other Windows machines in the house via WRD or Teamviewer. Console accessible on iphones and iPads externally. All good with immediate response times on connections. CPU usage down from 100% with previous i5-5250/8GB to 15-20% with new setup. Apropos fenderman's previous advice about CPU usage by Teamviewer, CPU usage on "new" server rises to 50-55% when using Teamviewer! Advice to newbies - avoid Teamviewer for BI server purposes if you can! Thanks to all once again. Only issue I currently have is that two cameras have different format than the others, yet the change option is greyed out on those. Suggestions welcome.

cbunting

n3wb
Reaction score
Just an update:

BI5 is working great on the i7 optiplex 7060 I put it on temporarly

I finally obtained a optiplex 7070 SFF w/ 9th gen i-9-9900 cpu, 32gb ram

can't wait to swap it on to that machine, it should hopefully scream away on it..

Reaction score
@cbunting does it have an i9-9900 in it? I don't see an i9 anywhere on Dell's website as an option for Optiplex. Curious if they meant to say i7-9700 which is completely different.