Can't update: BlueIris.chm failed

Bryk

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having difficulty upgrading Blue Iris from 4.5.8.5 x64 to the current version (4.5.8.1). Was having this same difficulty earlier in the week (before 4.5.8.1 was posted), so I don't think it is a problem with the actual update file. I am running Blue Iris Update Helper.

When I click on "Check for update now" in Blue Iris, I get am prompted with "Version 4.6.8.1 is now available" and I click Yes to download now. The update is downloaded and I get:

Blue Iris Update

Updating Files

followed by

updater
Update of C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.chm failed
(5)--make sure it is not in use

I searched the forums to see if there was anything related to this issue, but did not find anything. Any thoughts on what is going on and how to get around it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am having difficulty upgrading Blue Iris from 4.5.8.5 x64 to the current version (4.5.8.1). Was having this same difficulty earlier in the week (before 4.5.8.1 was posted), so I don't think it is a problem with the actual update file. I am running Blue Iris Update Helper.

When I click on "Check for update now" in Blue Iris, I get am prompted with "Version 4.6.8.1 is now available" and I click Yes to download now. The update is downloaded and I get:

Blue Iris Update

Updating Files

followed by

updater
Update of C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.chm failed
(5)--make sure it is not in use

I searched the forums to see if there was anything related to this issue, but did not find anything. Any thoughts on what is going on and how to get around it?
download the update from the website..close blue iris and apply.

Bryk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the update (update64.exe), clicked on it, and the same issue occurred. I checked Task Manager and BI was not running (although BiUpdateHelper was).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded the update (update64.exe), clicked on it, and the same issue occurred. I checked Task Manager and BI was not running (although BiUpdateHelper was).
have you restarted the pc? The chm is the help file, make sure its not open.

Bryk

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I tried that earlier in the week...no luck. And, I just did it now...still no luck :) I was hoping I was doing something stupid (haven't ruled that out yet). Any other thoughts? I suppose the last suggestion would be to reinstall BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I tried that earlier in the week...no luck. And, I just did it now...still no luck :) I was hoping I was doing something stupid (haven't ruled that out yet). Any other thoughts? I suppose the last suggestion would be to reinstall BI.
try it again...use restart - not shutdown...

Bryk

n3wb
Reaction score
I renamed the chm file as you suggested. Now the update chokes but says "Update of C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe failed (5)--make sure it is not in use".

Thoughts? (Thanks for the continued suggestions, fenderman)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I renamed the chm file as you suggested. Now the update chokes but says "Update of C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 4\BlueIris.exe failed (5)--make sure it is not in use".

Thoughts? (Thanks for the continued suggestions, fenderman)
are you running as a service? check task manager to see that the application is not in use..