Car Accident Recorded by View Camera

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Just before 5 PM today we noticed flashing lights on the street below our house. It was a tow truck picking up a disabled SUV. I went back and looked at the earlier footage from this camera and noticed the SUV was involved in a accident at 3:50 PM. As the SUV approached an intersection it appeared to be slowing down and pulling over to the right. Before it came to a complete stop it suddenly made a left turn. The vehicle traveling behind the SUV hit the front left side quite hard (you can hear crash clearly). A fire truck and ambulance arrived within 10 minutes. Who do you think is at fault?

Markles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A classic case of "I'm driving a modern vehicle that can make a near-perfect 90 degree turn but I'mma pretend I'm driving an 18-wheeler that has a zero turning radius and pull clear onto the right f'king shoulder so I can make a left hand turn." That said, the person behind the horrible driver is at fault for not anticipating the potential asshole move.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Are you going to provide the video to the police? I would.
I think the driver that exited the traffic lane and re-entered when it was unsafe is at fault.
With no center turn lane that is a dangerous intersection, especially since there are lots of cars using that road, driving fast too as usual.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If the paperwork in my file at work has anything to say about it... it’s the SUV drivers fault for failure to drive with due care. Car behind wouldn’t anticipate a sudden change in course from the SUV that appeared to be making a right initially. I was driving a work car a few years back and made a similar bonehead move. Another co-worker was behind me, also in a work car. Nothing hurt but my personnel file. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That said, the person behind the horrible driver is at fault for not anticipating the potential asshole move.
C'mon, man. Like many drivers, the driver in back is following too closely and is likely going too fast for the conditions and if he had not been doing either he may have been able to avoid the moron in front of him BUT....the moron in front is clearly the cause of the accident, IMO.

That being said, accidents like this generally happen when both parties are not doing what they should be doing...eliminate 1 or more infractions /oversights by either party and the accident doesn't occur. In other words, if numb-nuts in front didn't drive like an idiot and if numb-nuts in the back was keeping a safer distance (and was possibly clairvoyant) then no accident.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Here in the Nanny State, a person making a left hand turn is usually at fault. The driver approaching from behind was making a, probably, legal passing maneuver of a vehicle, the SUV, that was pulling off to the shoulder when the SUV made a left hand turn across the traffic striking that vehicle. Just my analysis of a confusing and questionable situation.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is an update. I did call the non emergency police number to report that I had video of the crash. They told me it was a non injury accident with only property damage and that they did not need to see the video. That stretch of road is very busy all day. The direction the SUV was traveling is all down hill. Speed limit is 30 MPH. Most people driving that direction have a tendency to speed because you are going down hill. The road is clearly marked "no passing" because of the solid double line.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is an update. I did call the non emergency police number to report that I had video of the crash. They told me it was a non injury accident with only property damage and that they did not need to see the video. That stretch of road is very busy all day. The direction the SUV was traveling is all down hill. Speed limit is 30 MPH. Most people driving that direction have a tendency to speed because you are going down hill. The road is clearly marked "no passing" because of the solid double line.
Okay, you gave them first dibs. Then sell it to the insurance company, either side, highest bidder. It will pay for your video system and then some. Still could be injuries after the fact.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
IHMO the person making the left turn is at fault. You are supposed to be in the left hand lane when making a left turn. The driver actually went to the right off the shoulder indicating he/she was going to do something else then turned left. I have looked at the video a number of times and I now think the person following has minimal liability. The SUV went pretty far to the right before making a left hand turn. The following car was just going to pass by him/her. Piss poor driver in car #1.

Reaction score
At least it won't be his/her word against his/her word with the video (albeit far away so not great quality), they can decide if it clearly looks like vehicle 1 was pulling off the road (I thought they were making a right turn tbh). Too bad you didn't have the zoom during the accident (looks sharp and would have cleared up even more of what went down like turn signals and the like).

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With all the morons driving with their heads buried in their phones, I have came to the conclusion I have to anticipate nothing other than idiotic driving moves. I'm working on developing my clairvoyant skills as well.
SUV, originally planned to turn right, then realized that was the wrong direction at the last moment because he/she wasn't paying attention. I see those type of shenanigans around here all the time. No body knows what the stick on the left side of the steering column is for.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
Are there lots of accidents on that section of road, might be great to have a permanent zoomed in view of at least the part you can see from your deck to add to the @lulu5kamz treasure trove of videos!
I've been wanting to add a second view camera to use in place of this PTZ camera. Then I can use the PTZ to zoom in on that busy road. I've seen a few accidents down there over the years. About a year or two ago I saw an overturned vehicle at the top of that curve. I guess it came around the curve too fast and flipped over. A couple of weeks ago police pulled over a group of young men in a car down there. They searched the vehicle, even pulling things out of the trunk. But they ended up letting them go. I guess they didn't find anything illegal.

Reaction score
I feel like you won't be able to get much with all the houses and trees, but maybe corridor mode you can get a decent grouping of pixels on this section
1-30-2020 11-52-38 AM.jpg

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Seems like the genius was trying to make a quick U-turn to avoid the double-lined yellow median marking on the roadway

SUV vs. Sedan, who wins?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I would give a gold medal to moron #1 who, if he didn't cause the accident there, was going to cause an accident between 30 seconds to five minutes later. Moron #2 isn't without blame either and would get the silver medal for idiocy. It appears he was in a no passing lane but decide to leave his lane too instead of waiting for the moron #1 to completely get out of the lane of traffic. Moron #2 doesn't understand defensive driving and it doesn't sound like he honked his horn either.