Car licence plates with non ANPR camera

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is everyone's experience with reading car license plates on non anpr cameras?
I have hikvision 8mp 4mm bullet and 4mp 4mm bullets at my front. Both can read licence plates in my driveway with viewing angles less than 20 degree, within 20m and slow speed, but I was thinking of upgrading to be able to capture license plates on the road with cars passing. It is 35-45m distance at about 50 degree angle. I have good view of the cars but the motion blur makes it unable to read plates.
I don't want to spend over $1k for a 2mp anpr camera. Is there any chance with a 8mp 12mm lens zoomed to get plates at 45m 50 degrees angle ?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need the Z12 @biggen suggests.

Don't chase MP, especially for plates. Most are 2MP or analog.

Also read up on this subforum for tips on how to set up LPR. In short, you want the image to be just about only the car. At night the image will be B/W and a black image and all you see is head/tail lights and plate and nothing else. This is accomplished with a 1/2,000 shutter speed. You cannot use it as an overview cam - that is people's biggest mistake is to try to do too much with one cam.

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I may need to think about a higher mm lens non hikvision (as long as it is compatible with my Hikvision 4K 8CH DS-7608NI-I2/8P 8 POE Network NVR) .
I didnt want to spend the $$ of an ANPR, and may need to add it as my current cameras cover the fov i need. I was hoping with the right zoom where the car is shown in image, that i could just read License plates if required.
I may need to add this camera and not replace a current one.

Last edited:

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@biggen with a multivariable lense / varifocus, do you just keep it at the set lens eg 32mm or change the focus often when viewing?
I would mostly need a fixed one to always record for cars in the street, at least for my application. I use smart events to record on line crossing / intrusion detection, so i will look back over video if required.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Its fixed at the zoom level and focus. I don't ever touch it once its locked in. I'm at max zoom (32mm) for my camera.

I record 24x7x365 but I have a second overview camera that captures the entire scene and triggers a motion alert for Blue Iris. That way its easier to look back and find something since it will correspond to a motion trigger. This is helpful more so at night when traffic light. Makes it easy to review footage.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't replace a camera, but supplement with the Z12. You want the overview still to be able to identify the vehicle and then the LPR for the plate.

And yes, with the varifocal you set zoom and focus and forget about it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use this tool and you can try different cameras and give you a perspective of how well you can read plates. Last thing you want to do is buy a camera and find out the zoom isn't enough.

Maximo101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks ill check that out.
hikvision has anpr 2mp cameras but they are $1600 + which is to high, i was thinking under $500 for my next camera

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You don’t need AI unless you are building out a custom solution that requires plates automatically pulled. You just need high zoom. Either record 24x7 or motion trigger based off of another ”overview” camera. You can then go back with your Mark I eyeballs to get the plate. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would think your DVR would at least be able to pull the video stream and record. Some of the functionality may be lost not being a Hik camera, but this is one cam all you need is zoomed in tight and record the stream.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 and can easily capture plates at 200ft. I have a straight shot up my road so that is an advantage.

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The white van here is 233ft. Alpr would capture both plates but i have the van masked off because it's parked there every day. The night images are at 150ft but it can get them farther just depends on the plates. Since I live at the end of a culdesac it's easy to get every car on the street.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@spankdog - wow that is impressive. Certainly helps you are on a cul-de-sac with a straight on view.

What shutter speed do you run?

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here you go. I use the Dahua Sunset/Sunrise utility to change settings. Run full auto during the day. 100% zoom

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow - that camera is a beast! 1/500ish shutter is impressive. Certainly the straight on and slower speed of cul-de-sac has to help.

Reaction score
Here you go. I use the Dahua Sunset/Sunrise utility to change settings. Run full auto during the day. 100% zoom
I have been using the sunrise utility as well, but with very little luck. It seems that it does not actual change the zoom/focus after a profile switch. Part of my confusion is if the utility is using BI profile, or camera profile.